Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Erik Gimler

/ The Daily Orange

Inked across the left bicep of Erik Gimler is an homage to the greatest man he’s ever known: his father, Robert Gimler.

Gimler grew up in Mansfield, Mass., and often reminisces about the days spent with his father and two brothers on his farm in Nova Scotia, Canada.

“We’d go to visit family, but my father, brothers and myself went to work. We cleared land and cut down trees; hard work was a true bonding experience for the boys of the Gimler household,” said Gimler, a senior biology major.

There was once an original plan to clear the land to build a log cabin, but during Christmastime of Gimler’s senior year in high school, his father passed away. Plagued by long-term battles with heart conditions, Robert Gimler’s passing was devastating for Erik.

Gimler, who is now an active member of Phi Kappa Psi, graduated from high school later that year and began his Syracuse career in the fall of 2009.

“After his passing, the transition period was difficult. I had to reapply to schools, changing my financial aid packages; there was even a period where I was thinking about joining the military. But my father, deprived of higher education in his youth, always pushed us to be the most educated we can be,” he said.

Gimler, long before his father’s passing, always told his reluctant mother about his desire for a tattoo, but never had a substantial reason to permanently mark his body.

That was until the fall of 2009. Shortly after his 18th birthday, Gimler made an appointment with tattoo artist Chris Chisholm at Halo Tattoo.

After three sessions, totaling nine hours, the masterpiece honoring his father was complete. A sleeve separated in two parts encompasses both his Catholic faith and the remembrance of his father. An angel of life with the words “In the Arms of an Angel” on the top portion, and two hands clenched in prayer, reading “Until we meet again,” on the bottom portion. “Until we meet again” has special significance, since it is also chiseled on Robert Gimler’s headstone.

Gimler’s ink is as meaningful as it is beautiful. Upon showing and explaining the tattoo to his once-unenthused mother, her opposition turned into content. His youngest brother is even inspired to follow suit and honor their father in a permanent fashion.

Said Gimler: “He was the most influential person in my existence, and before he passed away, I wrote my common app essay about what an impact he had and will always have on life. He traversed so many obstacles and as long as I have his memoriam on my arm, I know I’ll have the strength to overcome anything in my future path.”