Field Hockey

Syracuse’s Irish trio provides aggressive play during team’s unbeaten season

Shijing Wang | Staff Photographer

Syracuse midfielder Gillian Pinder is a member of the team's "Irish attack," which has been responsible for much of the team's aggressive play this season.

Syracuse’s “Irish attack” earned the title for good reason.

The trio of Emma Russell, Gillian Pinder and Liz McInerney combined to form the group that has provided the team with aggressive play in the Orange’s undefeated season. They’ve helped No. 1 Syracuse move to 12-0 and extend the team’s winning streak at J.S. Coyne Stadium to 34 games.

McInerney leads the team with eight assists. Throughout the season she has often threaded the needle by perfectly passing the ball to different teammates cutting to the goal. The vision to see who’s open and the accuracy to get them the ball has been crucial to SU’s ability to score so quickly at times.

“Giving assists is probably my favorite part of my game and it’s very easy to do when the forwards move for you,” McInerney said. “I’m just lucky to be the one to pass the ball before they get the goal; (it) could’ve been anyone.”

SU plays at a fast pace, so ball control as well as sharp and precise passing are needed on offense. Players constantly communicate with each other in efforts to keep the ball moving.

The ability of all the players to come together has been a point of pride for the team. The “Irish attack” is one part of it.

“One of the best parts about our team is the different cultures and nationalities we have on it; I think it brings a different style of hockey,” McInerney said. “It was only me for a long time over here, so I’m happy to have two more Irish girls to keep me company.”

This year, the Orange added freshmen Pinder and Russell. They brought speed to the team, racing past opponents to find openings in the defense. Both are working well within the team, leaving their mark on the balanced scoring strategy of SU.

Although they seem comfortable on the field, both have had similar problems adjusting to the states.

“It’s my first time in the states, so the biggest adjustment was definitely the weather at first, but now it’s getting a bit more comfortable to play in,” Pinder said.

Russell echoed Pinder’s feelings on the transition.

“The temperature,” Russell said. “I wasn’t used to it, but now it’s getting colder now so I’m happy about that; (it) makes it a lot easier.”

They might not love the weather, but it hasn’t affected their play on the field.

All three Irish players said they weren’t prepared for the intensity or extended length of practices at Syracuse. McInerney said it’s helping with her conditioning, and she can now stay on the field longer during games.

McInerney, Russell and Pinder are important parts of the team, but they said they don’t make the top-ranked Orange special. They just add their particular style of play to an already talented team.

“The team atmosphere is unbelievable here,” Pinder said. “Everyone here has totally bonded and just united, and all the work and the longer hours of training is paying off.”