Common Ground for Peace

Schedule of events

What: “The Rise of Democracy in the Middle East”

Where: Goldstein Auditorium

When: Monday, Oct. 8, 9-11:30 a.m.

NBC News national and international correspondent Ann Curry will moderate the first panel discussion of the forum, featuring the 14th Dalai Lama, following introductions from Chancellor Nancy Cantor and Gregg Lambert, the founding director of the SU Humanities Center.

Additional panelists include Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel Peace laureate and former director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency; R. James Woolsey, former director of Central Intelligence and an energy and national security specialist; Shirin Ebadi, Nobel Peace laureate and Iranian human rights lawyer; Irshad Manji, director of Moral Courage Project at New York University’s School of Public Service; and former United Nations ambassador Andrew Young.

What: “Shifting the Global Consciousness”

Where: Goldstein Auditorium

When: Monday, Oct. 8, 1:30-4:00 p.m.

Following an introduction by Lambert, Curry will also moderate the afternoon panel discussion featuring the Dalai Lama, Ebadi, ElBaradei, human rights advocate Martin Luther King III; composer, singer-songwriter, music producer and philanthropist A.R. Rahman; and Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi.

A minimum of 300 free tickets were made available to students and the general public for both the morning and afternoon sessions. Tickets were available for pickup on Tuesday for students and Wednesday for the general public.

Tickets are required for both sessions and are not interchangeable. When picking up their tickets, attendees were given a slip of paper detailing entry requirements for both sessions. All attendees are subject to security screenings, and purses will be opened and inspected. Individuals attending the panels should expect the same type of security screening experienced at an airport, according to an email from a One World official.

Prohibited items (at the panels):

–  Backpacks

–  Bags (A check-in room will be available)

–  Banners

–  Electronic devices (Cellphones are permitted. Laptops, tablets and cameras are not.)

–  Large purses

–  Noise makers

–  Promotional items

–  Recording devices

–  Signs

–  Food and beverages

What: “Resolving Conflict in One World through Global Consciousness”

Where: Carrier Dome

When: Tuesday, Oct. 9, 7-11 p.m.

The One World Concert, featuring more than 20 musical artists, will follow the Dalai Lama’s talk in the Dome. The event is expected to be the largest gathering of international artists ever to travel to the Central New York region, according to the One World Concert website.

The list of performers for the festival-style event includes Dave Matthews, Nelly Furtado, Phillip Phillips, Cyndi Lauper and Natasha Bedingfield, among others.

All ticket proceeds for Tuesday night’s benefit concert will advance international relief efforts and fund a scholarship in honor of Bassel Al Shahade, the Syracuse University graduate student killed in Syria earlier this year.