Pulp

Ready for anything: Popular rock band moves sold-out crowd at Westcott Theater

Pulp

Zixi Wu | Staff Photographer

Jake Turner, guitarist for Say Anything, plays for a sold out crowd at the Westcott Theater. The alternative rock band performed with Tallhart, The Sidekicks and Murder By Death

Screams of “Max Bemis” and “We want anything” rang out from a completely unhinged crowd. Cups were thrown, beer was spilt and security guards were clearly on their toes. But once Bemis, lead singer for alternative rock band Say Anything, and the rest of the band took the stage the crowd went from unruly to calm, contrite and excited for the first song.

Say Anything played at the Westcott Theater on Tuesday night after being changed from the Lost Horizon in an effort to sell more tickets. Tallhart, The Sidekicks and Murder By Death opened the show in front of a sold-out crowd.

Playing songs from its latest extended-play record, “Bloodlines,” Tallhart’s indie vibe set the stage for the rest of the performers to come. Frontman Matt Segallos admitted that the group’s EP may seem a bit erratic in style, but the group looks forward to defining its identity in an up-and-coming, full-length album.

Those who arrived early enough to see Tallhart were pleased that they did, and fans of the band praised their opening set.

“It’s awesome touring with Say Anything; this is our second time around and it’s great to see how distinct their fan base is,” Segallos said.

Following Tallhart was Columbus, Ohio’s The Sidekicks. The crowd was roused to attention once the band began playing a short set featuring songs from its latest album, “Awkward Breeds.” By the time the set finished, the pit was buzzing and hands were in the air.

The third and final opening act before Say Anything was eclectic group Murder by Death. Featuring a broad range of instruments, including electric cellos, trumpets and accordions, Murder by Death was easily the favorite of the opening acts.

By the time Murder by Death left the stage, the entire theater was full of chanting Say Anything fans.

When Say Anything opened with “The Writhing South,” the crowd immediately began jumping in the pit. Those standing outside of the pit made every attempt they could to get into it. Bemis kept the energy level high for the first few songs until slowing down the pace with “Do Better,” essentially letting the crowd sing the entire song.

Bemis, who used to have serious drug issues, was quick to tell the crowd about his sobriety —bringing up his pregnant wife to sing along on some songs — and told the crowd that he’s happy to be in the place he is now with the people he is with.

Bemis, known for his fan appreciation, started a service he calls a “song shop,” through which fans can send in personal stories for him to write songs about. Fans often use this opportunity to have him write songs about relationships for them to give as a gift to their significant other.

“In a world where popular musicians are placed on pedestals, it’s nice to see someone appreciate their fans in such a personal way. It’s a great gift to give a fan, and it comes right from Max,” Segallos said.

Rachel Wolsky, a sophomore broadcast and digital journalism major, claimed it was her favorite show to date and was glad she could finally see her favorite band play her favorite song, “A Walk Through Hell.”

Bemis closed out a lengthy 16-song set with fan favorite “Burn a Miracle” after playing other favorites, such as “Woe,” “Hate Everyone” and “Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too.”

After exiting the stage, the fans erupted in chants for an encore, yelling “One more song” in unison. Soon enough, Bemis and the band returned to play a two-song encore. Starting with another favorite, “Belt,” and closing with “The Stephen Hawking,” the crowd was at its highest energy level during the encore.

Liz Evans, a senior public relations major and long-time Say Anything fan, loved her first Say Anything concert.

Said Evans: “It’s great how interactive he was with the crowd, playing songs spanning all his albums. It was great for new and old fans alike.”