McFarlane, Lewis to undergo surgery on season-ending upper-body injuries

Syracuse running back Devante McFarlane and wide receiver Ben Lewis are out for the season due to upper-body injuries that require surgery, SU Athletics announced in a press release Thursday.

McFarlane and Lewis, both freshmen, have not played in any games this season for the Orange. McFarlane will undergo surgery Thursday, and Lewis is set for surgery on Friday, according to the release. They will be evaluated throughout the rehabilitation process, with their status for spring football to be determined starting in March.

McFarlane spent much of preseason training camp at safety before the coaching staff decided to move him to running back, a position he excelled at during his career at Half Hollow Hills West High School in Dix Hills, N.Y.

Head coach Doug Marrone said he originally had McFarlane at safety and could have seen a future for him at linebacker due to his athletic 6-foot, 195-pound build. His speed and physical ability would have translated well on defense, Marrone said at the start of the season, but he ultimately thought McFarlane could make a difference at a lacking running back position.

Marrone felt McFarlane could earn time in the backfield, but the freshman did not play a down in SU’s first six games.

Lewis arrived at Syracuse after an all-state career at Middletown High School in Maryland. He finished with 51 catches for 876 yards and 12 touchdowns his senior year, but he was never in the mix for playing time in his first year with the Orange.