Hurricane Sandy

Landlords, students prepare properties for Hurricane Sandy’s arrival

Across the university neighborhood, students and landlords are preparing properties for Hurricane Sandy.

Landlords renting to Syracuse University students said they were emailing renters today with advice on preparing and dealing with the storm, such as stocking up on water and nonperishable food items and removing objects from front yards that may become loose and cause damage.

Erin Kane, associate vice president of public relations, said Syracuse University housing is encouraging students to stay inside and use common sense as the storm looms, and resident advisers will still be in direct contact with students.

Kane said Syracuse’s Emergency Preparedness Committee met early Monday, and will speak again by phone later in the day.

Campus Hill Apartments, which has 250 units in more than 50 buildings in the area, sent out a basic email reminding tenants of utility and emergency numbers.

Shaun Janis, communications assistant at Campus Hill, said he has heard people mention the storm in the office, but has not heard tenants express extreme concern. Janis said the email is something that would be sent out when any weather related risk to property comes up.

An employee at OPR Developers, which rents houses along Livingston, Comstock and Euclid avenues, among other places, said they have a full maintenance staff on call checking beforehand for tree branches and outside property that may cause damage.

In an email, OPR Developers also encouraged tenants to move items out of their basements to prepare for the possibility of flooding.

Melissa Woycechowsky, property manager for Responsible Property Management, said she spoke with tenants and advised them to stock up on supplies and keep animals indoors.

She said when the warnings became more serious on Monday morning people were given a short time to prepare.

“I don’t expect we will need to board up windows, but you never know,” Woycechowsky said.

IMPORTANT NUMBERS

National Grid: (315) 453-0664 (local) 1-800-867-5222 (report an outage)

Red Cross of CNY: (315) 234-2200

Central New York Water Authority: (315) 475-7601

Syracuse Department of Public Works: (315) 448-CITY