On the Hill

Gabrielle Union, panel discuss black women achievements

Women should be outspoken and independent despite the cultural influences they may face, actress Gabrielle Union said at the  “Women of Distinction” panel on Wednesday evening.

The panel was held by Syracuse University fraternity Phi Beta Sigma in collaboration with the National Association of Black Journalists in the Joyce Hergenhan Auditorium at 7 p.m.

The focus of the event was to celebrate and draw attention to successful women of color while recognizing the hardships they face in achieving this success.

“Taking action against these gender distinctions is key,” said Christabel Sheldon, director of the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program at SU.

Student moderators proposed questions to Union and three other panelists, including Lorraine Branham, dean of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. Topics included the challenges black women face in the media industry and how to better improve women’s representation in the black community.

“Boycotting the negative influences presented in these programs was a stand I had to take,” Sheldon said.

The panelists also discussed the effects of hate crimes within the black community, especially among females.

“Success doesn’t come from dissecting one another. We need to recognize the beauty among us and stand together,” Union said.

Branham expressed confidence that black students in Newhouse represent the full extent of the black experience, beyond the way it’s represented in the media.

At the end of the panel, Union spent extra time with the few remaining audience members to answer questions. Students shared personal stories of adversity in their daily lives with Union and she provided insight into how these struggles can lead to achieving success.

“You have to lift each other up because it’s lonely at the top,” Union said. “There’s definitely strength in numbers.

Shanice Bland, a freshman television, radio and film major, said she thought Union speaking at SU was an amazing experience.

Said Bland: “She shows that not only can darker-skinned women be beautiful, but that we can also be successful.”