Field Hockey

Freshmen Pinder, Russell shine in victory over Eagles

Shijing Wang | Staff Photographer

Gillian Pinder started in place of Leonie Geyer for Syracuse and racked up a career-high six points on two goals and two assists, both to fellow freshman Emma Russell.

Gillian Pinder and Emma Russell stole the show. The Syracuse freshmen scored all four goals in Syracuse’s 4-2 win over Boston College on Sunday.

Pinder and Russell both had one goal in each half.

Pinder, who started in place of Leonie Geyer, had a career day racking up a career-high six points on two goals and two assists — both to Russell. It was the first time an Orange player registered a six-point game since Kelsey Millman achieved it in the season opener Aug. 24.

“Gillian was very crucial in the win, stepping up when we needed her to,” SU head coach Ange Bradley said.

Pinder started strong, scoring within the first three minutes of the game. She said Bradley stresses for the Orange to attack aggressively early in games so it’s in control of the game in the second half.

Her first goal came off a pass from Lauren Brooks at the top of the circle to the left side where she bulleted the ball into the back of the goal.

Russell then got into the action as she and Pinder started a two-on-one break toward the opposing goal. Pinder passed Russell the ball perfectly on the left side, and she forcefully shot it into the back of the goal.

Bradley said the freshmen have been consistent all season, and they have mastered the skill of balancing their personalities on and off the field.

“They bring a lot of spirit to the team,” Bradley said. “They know how to have fun, but also when it is time to get serious.”

Russell was pleased with her individual performance, but said the win was a team effort.

“I think the whole team played really well together and our attack was good,” Russell said.

In the second half, the Eagles started quickly and scored two goals within minutes of each other.

But another goal from Pinder put an end to Boston College’s attack and created some separation for Syracuse.

“We had to keep playing and make sure we stayed aggressive,” Pinder said.

Once time was running out and the deficit was getting larger, Boston College put its trust in the backfield and pulled the goalkeeper in an effort to be more aggressive and swarm the Orange’s goal with attacks.

“I think we were a bit panicky at the start and the forwards were stretching a lot,” Russell said. “But after a few minutes, we started to calm down out there a little.”

But the Eagles just couldn’t score against SU’s staunch defense.

Bradley said the freshmen and the rest of the team rushed when Boston College added an extra attacker.

“I was just frustrated with some of the decisions that we made,” Bradley said. “And I think when you have an open goal, the mentality is to go score, score, score and they forget that there’s an extra player up in the front end.”