Environment

For ESF students, nickname Stumpy is here to stay despite push for Oakie

Tree Hugger, Granola Cruncher, Greenies, Stumpies.

The list of names for students at SUNY-ESF can go pretty far, but no matter if we’re scientists, foresters or lawyers, ESFers go as Stumpies. Until recently, however, when different groups on campus have decided to phase out its use.

As the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry has aged over 100 years of education, so has the focus and range of majors with the college. With that change in focus comes a call for a more all-encompassing nickname.

While this is good and honest, we should not forget our Stumpy pride.

No longer are we the College of Forestry (as we were from 1911 to 1972), but now we offer majors from engineering to communications. With this change and the development of athletic teams in the last years, the administration has looked toward a rebranding.

Stumpy had referred to the college’s former narrow focus on forestry. The name derived from foresters jumping from stump to stump to save time walking in the forest, so it goes. Through the years, however, the name came to differentiate SUNY-ESF from the neighboring Syracuse University campus.

While some may use the name in a derogatory way, the term Stumpy is full of ESF pride for many students. People outside the university may use it negatively, but the general population of ESFers uses Stumpy with love.

There are groups that do not enjoy the nickname, though I have never met anyone myself. While the SUNY-ESF administration offices want to champion new sports teams by using Oakie and the Mighty Oaks, they also want to appease those who do not like the name Stumpy.

With this in mind, some measures have been taken that have worried the student body of the disappearance of Stumpy.

In August, orientation leaders, who guide the new ESF freshmen, were told specifically not to use the word Stumpy around the new students, but instead to substitute in the new sports team mascots, orientation leaders have said.

While it is understandable to market the new athletic teams, the situation could have been handled in a different manner to add the new, yet keep the old.

Bob French, vice president for enrollment management and marketing at SUNY-ESF, stated his position gracefully when he said we should have room for both new and old traditions.

ESF has Stumpy pride. ESF has Oakie pride. Oakie can live with Stumpy, but all parties must realize Stumpy is here to stay.

In all reality, Stumpy and Oakie are just two parts to the same tree, where they live in ecological harmony.

Whether we’re ESF scientists or journalists, wallflowers or socialites (don’t even get me started, Playboy), granola crunchers or tree huggers, we are Stumpies, and Stumpy pride is a vital part of the ESF experience.

Long live Stumpy!

Meg Callaghan is a junior environmental studies major and writing minor at SUNY-ESF. Her column appears weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].