Superstorm Sandy

Effects of storm not felt at Syracuse University

Sam Maller | Asst. Photo Editor

A stop sign blows over in front of the stairs to Flint and Day Halls in the aftermath of Hurricane-turned Superstorm Sandy Tuesday night. Syracuse University canceled classes part of Monday and all of Tuesday, but the storm did little damage to the Syracuse area.

Superstorm Sandy minimally affected the Syracuse area. No injuries or flooded houses were reported, said a Syracuse Police Department official.

Given that Syracuse University officials canceled a day and a half of classes, some students were surprised to see that Superstorm Sandy had such little effect on the community.

“When I woke up this morning and looked outside, it just looked like a normal Syracuse day, not a hurricane,” said senior psychology major Ashley Lawton.

Syracuse University officials canceled classes for part of Monday and all of Tuesday to protect students from strong winds and heavy rain associated with Superstorm Sandy.

Lawton said she thought classes might be canceled because of reports about the intense winds near Syracuse. Despite the lack of extreme weather, she said she thinks it was the right decision for the university to cancel classes.

“It’s better to be safe than sorry,” she said.

Andrew Folts, a junior advertising major, said the decision was “pretty ridiculous, now seeing the weather.

“I think the cancellation of classes boosted campus morale though,” he said. “No one is angry that they had the two days off.”

Ryan Fitzgerald, a freshman physics major, said even though nothing happened regarding the storm, it was good class was canceled in order to avoid someone getting “in harm’s way.”

Saket Karajagi, second-year information management graduate student, said he predicted that Syracuse wouldn’t be hit by the superstorm.

Karajagi said he was happy school was canceled and was sure most SU students enjoyed the time off as well.

“I’m glad they did this as a precaution,” Karajagi said. “It could have been a lot worse than people thought.”