Common Ground for Peace

No crime at One World Concert despite size

No crime or major incidents occurred at Tuesday night’s One World Concert.

The concert marked the conclusion of the Common Ground for Peace Symposium, a two-day forum held at Syracuse University on Oct. 8-9. The Dalai Lama and more than 20 musical artists engaged the Syracuse community on shifting global consciousness toward peace.

The two-day event included a public talk by the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Tibet; panel discussions; and a festival-style concert in the Carrier Dome.

About 24,000 people were in attendance.

“For a major concert it was one of the best-behaved crowds we’ve ever seen,” Department of Public Safety Chief Tony Callisto said.

The State Department, New York State Police, Onondaga County Sheriff’s Department, Syracuse Police Department and DPS were all involved in security details for the event.

The State Department was specifically responsible for the personal protection and care of the Dalai Lama. DPS provided security around SU’s perimeter, while SPD was responsible for controlling and regulating traffic. The New York State Police and Onondaga County Sheriff’s Department provided the motorcade and transportation security.

Brian Davis, a police officer who is part of the SPD Traffic Division, was one of the motorcade escorts for The Dalai Lama. He said there were no problems with escorting the Dalai Lama to the Carrier Dome.

“In my 19 years as an officer, I’ve never seen such great hospitality,” Davis said.

He added that all of the agencies involved worked together well.

“The Dalai Lama is awesome,” Davis said.

Attendees were not allowed to bring bags into the Dome and everyone was subjected to thorough security checks and examinations.

Sarah Malavenpa, a Syracuse resident, wasn’t expecting such extensive security.

“They checked my bag and did the metal detector thing,” Malavenpa said.

She said the security check line was simple, and she only stood in line for five minutes.

Edouard Terzis, a freshman architecture major, didn’t find the security to be bothersome either.

“I live in Sadler, so I came over around six and it was easy,” Terzis said. “I didn’t really mind it.”

No major injuries were reported at the concert, said Peter Sealy, supervisor for the Dome medical staff.

The Syracuse Fire Department was in charge of crowd control, said Lt. Tim Barclay. While the majority of attendees came in last minute, there was no problem getting people to their seats.

“We got everybody in. People should have gotten here a little earlier,” Barclay said. “The crowd was very nice. Everything was fine. Everyone was in good spirits. “

Callisto said the past two days went very smoothly.

Said Callisto: “To have a major religious and social figure, international figure, on campus for two days, the coordination between all of the law enforcement, the Department of State, the sheriff’s office, the state police and DPS was just outstanding.”