Editorial

Congressional candidates can still affect students

Three distinct candidates are seeking the 24th Congressional District seat this election season, but their distance from students makes the race less interesting and important to them.

City lawmakers have the power to directly affect students’ lives in the area. Because of this, they are better known and city officials may be more important to them. But House members represent constituents in the district on a larger scale and work on big-picture initiatives that may also affect the area.

Though congressional candidates may not directly affect students during their four years at Syracuse University the way city officials may, they are working to represent the area on a national level.

Since 2010, Rep. Ann Marie Buerkle, R-Onondaga Hill, has been the face of the area. She is running against Dan Maffei, a Democrat and former representative, and Green Party candidate Ursula Rozum.

These candidates campaign directly toward those living in the area and are less likely to campaign toward students on campus. Many students are from out of state and are registered to vote in their home states.

But for the handful of students who vote in this district, the candidates are missing out. By not campaigning on campus or focusing on the youth vote and youth issues, the candidates are making themselves less important to students.

Though the deadline has passed to register to vote in New York state, students must remember they spend four years at this university. Some may end up living here post-graduation. The effects may not be immediate, but they can still produce lasting effects.