Elections 2012

Bill Clinton to visit Syracuse on Friday to endorse Dan Maffei

Daily Orange file photo

President Bill Clinton speaks at a rally for Congressional candidate Dan Maffei at Syracuse Hancock International Airport in 2010. Clinton will touch down in Syracuse again on Friday to endorse Maffei in the 2012 election.

Former President Bill Clinton will make a stop in Syracuse on Friday to campaign for Democratic Congressional candidate Dan Maffei.

Clinton will endorse Maffei, who is running for the seat in New York’s 24th Congressional District, at a rally at Syracuse Hancock International Airport at 1 p.m., according to a news release from Maffei’s campaign.

The rally will take place at Landmark Aviation Hangar Building #113, located at 248 Tuskegee Road., according to the release.

The event is open to the public and no tickets are required.

“Dan is honored to have President Clinton’s endorsement,” said Marc Brumer, Maffei’s campaign spokesman. “It is a strong validation of his commitment to rebuild the middle class, create jobs and get Central New York’s economy moving again.”

Maffei is running against Republican incumbent Ann Marie Buerkle and Green Party candidate Ursula Rozum for the congressional seat.

The race is a rematch of the 2010 election, in which Buerkle unseated Maffei by less than 700 votes, according to the Siena Research Institute.

Clinton endorsed Maffei in 2010 at a rally that was also held at Syracuse Hancock International Airport.