Battle on the Midway to take place as scheduled

The Battle on the Midway between Syracuse and San Diego State will take place as originally scheduled.

“FOX Sports San Diego is committed to ensuring the game takes place as scheduled,” said Henry S. Ford, the channel’s Sr. Vice President and General Manager  said in a press release from SU Athletics on Friday.

A fan fest, concert and a charity gala all connected to the game have all been cancelled. An article published in U-T San Diego Thursday cited multiple sources saying that the game was in danger of being cancelled.

The game, planned to be played on the deck of San Diego’s Midway Museum aircraft carrier, would be the latest in a trend of college basketball teams playing on the deck of such ships. Then-No. 1 North Carolina and Michigan State played in the inaugural Carrier Classic Nov. 11, 2011 aboard the U.S.S. Carl Vinson in Coronado, Calif. to usher in the 2011-12 season. Ohio State and Marquette will play in this year’s edition of the game Nov. 9.

One issue the Battle of the Midway has found is a lack of sponsors. With the game just over a month away, promoters have still yet to announce any national sponsors.

Still, the Orange’s sports information director Pete Moore said this has nothing to do with the rumored cancellation.

“That’s going on but that’s nothing new today,” Moore said. “That’s been going on since the game was first discussed, so that’s nothing new.”

If the game were to be cancelled, SU would be left with 29 regular season and lose perhaps its toughest non-conference test

But right now, there’s no reason to think that should be an issue.

“We continue to look forward and are truly excited about the upcoming opportunity for our team to play on The Midway in our honor of our U.S. service people,” Syracuse Athletic Director Daryl Gross said in the press release. “We believe the event will be special and respectful.”