Volleyball

Walk-on Kullman brings team-first mentality to Syracuse offense as setter

Amanda Kullman arrived at Syracuse two years ago as a regular incoming freshman and had no communication with the Syracuse athletic department.

Eventually, she contacted Jing Pu, then the head coach of the Syracuse volleyball team.

Kullman, now a junior setter from the Buffalo suburb of Orchard Park, N.Y., walked onto the volleyball team as a freshman. And last weekend, she made a return to her hometown when the team took part in the Blue and White Classic in Buffalo.

Syracuse (7-6) won two of its three games, defeating Hartford and Dartmouth, but coming up short against Buffalo. Kullman registered 47 total assists in the three games.

The Orange plays Binghamton (2-12) at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Women’s Building.

Greg Lardo, Orchard Park High School volleyball head coach, said Kullman was committed to volleyball and was a team player in high school.

“She worked hard,” Lardo said. “You knew she loved volleyball. She was on one of the better teams Orchard Park has had.

“She got along with everybody and made sure everyone was on the same page. You need that out of your setter so she fit that role perfectly.”

Every team comes with variety. Some players are stronger on the court than off. But then there are the players, like Kullman, who have a presence off the court that creates a winning atmosphere.

“I’m sure the coach saw what kind of person she was, and you don’t cut a person like Amanda,” Lardo said. “She’s just good for your team and good for everyone else on your team. Those are the type of people you need on your team to be successful.”

Kullman has volleyball in her blood.

Her mom played at a two-year college and introduced her daughter to the sport when she was in middle school. At that time, Kullman was trying to choose between swimming and other sports that interested her.

She didn’t begin playing competitively until her sophomore year in high school for the Niagara Frontier Volleyball Club in West Seneca, N.Y.

“It was nowhere near as competitive as the teams some of the girls here played on,” Kullman said.

But this weekend marked Kullman’s second trip to Buffalo as a member of the Orange. Syracuse and Kullman played in the same tournament last year and dropped two of three.

“It was definitely fun,” she said. “It’s always nice to have familiar faces in the crowd when you’re at an away gym.”

Prior to returning to Buffalo, Kullman put her homecoming aside to talk about how this was just another tournament and an opportunity to keep improving.

“I think we have to use this as another weekend to just keep going and keep improving on the things we’ve been working on in practice,” she said. “But having those people there definitely helps you keep your eye on the prize knowing that they’re all there supporting you.”

Lardo said he was aware of Kullman’s homecoming, but was unable to make it. Still, he was pleased to know that her career at Syracuse has been a successful one so far.

“Overall, you think about her and it just brings a smile to your face,” Lardo said. “To hear that she’s doing so well at Syracuse just makes you happy.”