Volleyball

Syracuse aims to snap 4-game losing streak at Iowa State tournament

A calm and confident Emily Betteridge gave no excuses for Syracuse’s four-game losing streak. Instead, the sophomore setter said the team needs to work hard to overcome the challenges ahead.

“We have a tough out-of-conference schedule,” Betteridge said. “We are working out the kinks, trying to get together and we’ve got some new girls on the court.”

After three wins to open the season, the Orange dropped its next four games in Nebraska, falling to Creighton, Denver and No. 21 Kansas State at the Bluejay Invitational and Nebraska-Omaha in a separate road game. SU failed to win a single set in all four games.

Syracuse (3-4) will look to get back on track this weekend when it takes on Iowa (5-2), Eastern Washington (0-8) and Iowa State (3-3) at the Iowa State tournament. The Orange opens the tournament against the Hawkeyes Friday at 10 a.m. In head coach Leonid Yelin’s first season at SU, the team is still trying to develop an identity.

“I think we’re trying to do some new things as a team,” junior middle blocker Lindsay McCabe said. “We’ve tried a few different systems. Nothing in particular but just trying to get used to each other on the court and hopefully this weekend that gets better.”

McCabe said the team has worked on team and individual drills to get better. Practice also serves as a chance for the players to continue developing into their roles.

Yelin tries to make practices like game situations so the team can know what to expect when it hits the court for an official game. Betteridge said the players appreciate Yelin’s approach, which forces them to work hard to improve every day.

Betteridge also said challenging practices are essential for game preparation.

“I think it’s really important to have hard practices and have it game-like,” she said. “That’s the closest thing you’re going to get when you’re playing against someone on the other side of the net.”

McCabe echoed Betteridge’s beliefs on practice. She said the team’s performance in games is a reflection of how it trains.

“I think it’s extremely important,” she said. “The best we can do is work as hard as we can at practice and make it game situation-like.”

Betteridge she and her teammates are working hard to prepare for SU’s game against Iowa Friday.

After losing four straight games, the Orange is focused on the future. The team still has 23 games to figure out its identity.

For now, the players are just fighting through the slump day by day at practice.

“We’re just working as a team,” Betteridge said. “Working hard and trying to push to the next game. We are excited.”