On the Hill

Students explore different methods to obtain, keep work-study jobs

Approximately 6,000 Syracuse University students obtain federal work-study jobs both on and off campus every year.

Though this is a high number, Human Resources Student Employment Services Manager Camille Donabella said the number of students seeking employment is increasing, which means the demand for jobs may not match supply.

“The reality is that students across the country need to work in order to offset the cost of attending school, so the job market may be quite competitive,” Donabella said.

New job openings are posted almost every day on www.sujobopps.com, a site where students can find and apply for both work-study and non work-study jobs at SU. Work-study applicants are often hired based on their availability, so willingness to work certain hours could be what leads to a job, Donabella said.

“Not all work hours are during the day; there are a number of jobs where you might have to work evenings or weekends. If you have more availability, your chances of finding work may increase,” Donabella said.

Meredith Jeffers, a sophomore English and writing major and a work-study employee at Sadler Hall’s front desk, said she received an email last spring alerting her of available front desk positions. Her availability matched up perfectly with the shifts Sadler needed covered, and therefore she received the position.

Cassie Pettinati, a sophomore interior design major, said being proactive helps to secure a work-study position. Pettinati received her work-study job after going to Archbold Gymnasium during her first semester and asking the managers about job openings for the following semester. She said she went through the application process and secured a job within about a week.

“The interview process was really quick, and I think because I applied so far in advance, it was a lot easier,” Pettinati said.

Some students choose not to pursue work-study jobs because of involvement with other activities or internships, Donabella said.

Sarah Hosie, a sophomore biology major, qualified for work-study but said she doesn’t have time to go through the process of searching for a job with her busy schedule. Instead, she said she will be a teaching assistant for a biology lab and will volunteer at several animal shelters, which will allow her to focus on her major.

Many jobs on campus are secured for students who qualify for federal work-study, and students who do not qualify are excluded from applying, making the process of finding a job quite difficult.

Sophomore Chris Jacques, a chemical engineering major, did not qualify for work-study but wanted a paying job, so he applied to be a peer advisor for engineering students.

“I wanted to help the freshmen with their transition and make sure their first year was much easier than mine,” Jacques said.

If a student who qualified for work-study can’t find an open position, Donabella said there are a few alternatives. Students can use their work-study awards during the summer through various nonprofit organizations across the country. Students can also obtain work-study jobs at nonprofit organizations in Syracuse, such as the SUNY Upstate Medical University and the new 3fifteen thrift store, she said.

Donabella recommended that students keep an open mind when applying for jobs. Though some jobs may not seem ideal in terms of responsibilities and hours, they could end up being a good fit.

Said Donabella: “Not only does a job provide you with a paycheck, but it gives you the opportunity to build a strong resume, learn new skills and meet new people.”