Crime

Shot possibly fired on Marshall Street, evidence shows man holding gun

A handgun was possibly fired on the 100 block of Marshall Street early Saturday morning, according to a notice released by the Department of Public Safety.

The Syracuse Police Department and DPS responded to a “suspicious noise” at 2:25 a.m., according to the notice. Witnesses told SPD they saw an unknown male pull out what appeared to be a handgun and heard a single popping sound.

The suspect immediately fled away from campus, and no injuries were reported, according to the notice.

SPD Sgt. Tom Connellan said it seemed initial reports of the incident were unfounded, but video evidence showing a man who appeared to be holding a gun turned up later. He said it is unclear whether shots were actually fired.

There has been an increase in high school students and inner-city gang members coming to the SU surrounding area, he said. Some of this is occurring after the bars close, he said.

These groups are attracted to parties held by SU students, Connellan said, and SPD is making efforts to prevent them from entering to ensure student safety.

Any students with information on the incident are asked to contact DPS or SPD.

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »