Crime

DPS sends safety notices to students living off campus, on South Campus

The Department of Public Safety sent out notices to students living off campus and on South Campus on Wednesday regarding incidents that have taken place during the last few weeks.

The email sent to students living off campus cited several incidents of “non-SU affiliated individuals, under the age of 21” attending off campus parties where alcohol is being served. The email reminded students that providing alcohol to those under the age of 21 is illegal and also a violation of the Code of Student Conduct.

“It just seems that this year, there’s been a spike or increase in the number of high school age students that are wandering the neighborhoods on weekend nights looking for parties,” said DPS Chief Tony Callisto.

DPS has seen high school students from both suburban and city schools in the area. Students hosting parties should make sure they know everyone in attendance and students should know the host of parties they plan to attend, Callisto said.

In the email sent to students living on South Campus, residents were warned of three suspicious males attending two parties at 220 Small Road. The suspects attended parties at the same apartment on Friday and Sunday nights, uninvited. They are believed not to be affiliated with SU and were asked to leave the party, prompting them to become aggressive and threatening, according to the email.

Callisto said DPS has been working in conjunction with the Syracuse Police Department on the investigation, which remains active.

DPS is asking for help in identifying the suspects. Each of the three individuals is described as black, 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 7 inches tall, 16 to 18 years old and of thin build. The first two suspects had shaved heads and were wearing white T-shirts and jeans. The third suspect had braided hair and wore a blue shirt and jeans, according to the email.

Students should be good neighbors and report anything suspicious, and also lock their doors and windows when leaving apartments unattended, Callisto said.

Officers will be patrolling “hot spots” such as South Campus, the East Campus neighborhoods and Thornden Park, in addition to the campus as a whole, Callisto said.