Clicker

Downfall: Aside from one glimmer of hope, fall season offers disappointing pilots

Summer TV is coming to a close at this point, and unless you’re vehemently invested in finding out which American finally got some talent on “America’s Got Talent,” then you’re ready for fall premieres. Since I’m pretty sure Nick Cannon is the only one still watching that show, then you’re definitely ready for some new options.

And if by any chance you’re actually reading this, Mr. Cannon, I think “Drumline” was underrated. Whatever. New shows. Here you go.

“Guys with Kids”

2/5

Exactly what it sounds like. Really. Three men are at a bar watching a sports game when all of them turn around to reveal they are wearing BabyBjorns. Instead of chest-bumping, they bump babies. Why aren’t you laughing yet?

It’s disappointing, too, considering it’s a show with a lot of talent behind it. Jimmy Fallon, currently one of the best things in late night, executive produces the show and even gets a story credit on the first episode. Also, former “Whitest Kids U’ Know” member Zach Cregger makes the most of Fallon’s pretty hokey premise to mine a laugh or two. But aside from Cregger, the show is flat on all sides and the acting is over the top.

Plot-contrivance alert: One character claims to have a date with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. And then guess who actually shows up.

“The New Normal”

2/5

“Glee” creator Ryan Murphy is trying to do an admirable thing with his newest show. The story of a gay couple trying to have a surrogate child is a nice way to shake up the TV landscape and introduce some diversity into the often very white-protestant-heterosexual body of programming. You go, Ryan Murphy.

It’s just not very funny. At all. It even boasts strong leads with Justin Bartha (“The Hangover”) and Andrew Rannells (“The Book of Mormon”) as the parents, and it’s too painful to watch them work really hard with so very little. The surrogate is cute, as is her first daughter, but the bigoted nana character seems like a huge misstep, even with how tolerance-friendly the show is.

Sentimental-music-with-adorable-bells-pulling-at-your-heartstrings alert: It never stops.

“Revolution”

4/5

One fateful day, all the lights go out. The story picks up 15 years after the tech apocalypse in a world that has crumbled, while violent militias have taken over to form their own republics.

The story follows Charlie Matheson. Life for her and her brother, Danny, is going pretty well until the militia comes to town one day looking for her father, Ben. Apparently Ben knows the cause of the blackout and, maybe, a way to turn everything back on. In a tussle, Ben is killed and Danny is captured, so Charlie leaves the village to look for the only family she has left, her uncle Miles. If that doesn’t hold you, the ending promises some nice twists as well.

J.J. Abrams executive produces, along with Jon Favreau from “Iron Man,” who also directs the pilot. The pilot has a nice mix of action and mythology that means the creators have an idea of where they’re going.

Hunger-Games-knock-off alert: Bows, arrows and a Peeta look-alike. Can’t not be intentional.

“Go On”

3/5

Matthew Perry returns to TV again, this time as a sports radio host whose wife has recently passed away. He thinks he’s ready to get back to work. His nervous breakdown disagrees, and he’s sent to group counseling sessions with some crazy characters, like a woman who is irrationally upset over the death of her cat.

Perry is doing sassy work as always and the pilot has its moments. Unfortunately, the show swings between moments of real emotion and joke sequences way too abruptly, a fault that leads to emotional whiplash. Over time, it may find its footing, so maybe check back in after a couple of episodes.

Chance-of-this-writer-making-a-“Go On”-pun-over-the-course-of-this-review alert: I might if the article were to go on.

But it won’t.