Beyond the Hill

Code of Conduct: University of Colorado-Boulder allows handguns on campus

For some college students in Colorado, pencils and notebooks may not be the only thing they’re carrying in their backpacks.

Officials at the University of Colorado-Boulder must comply with a state Supreme Court ruling from last March, which allows individuals with state-issued concealed carry permits to carry handguns on university property. This means students can now bring firearms on campus and into classrooms.

“I believe we have taken reasonable steps to adhere to the ruling of the Colorado Supreme Court, while balancing that with the priority of providing a safe environment for our students, faculty and staff,” said CU-Boulder Chancellor Philip DiStefano in a press release.

According to an analysis done by the University of Colorado, only 0.6 percent of the faculty, staff and students on campus possess a CCP. The report also said a full 96 percent of CU-Boulder undergraduate students living in the residence halls are under the age of 21, and thus not eligible for a CCP.

To carry a concealed firearm in Colorado, the holder must be at least 21 years of age, complete an FBI background check and prove either previous military or police experience, according to the press release.

Many students at CU-Boulder said allowing firearms on campus makes them feel unsafe and “uncomfortable.” One professor, Jerry Peterson, threatened to cancel classes if he learned students were carrying guns, according to an article published in The Huffington Post.

But, according to DiStefano, this action would break the contract professors signed with the university. When asked by The Daily Orange about this issue, Peterson refused to comment.

Although students with a concealed carry permit are allowed to bring firearms to class, university officials will either be relocated to university apartment housing or be released from the residence hall contract without financial penalty. Officials said the new regulation will only affect a small number of individuals, according to the press release.

CU Board of Regents policy prevents the open display of weapons like guns and knives, but anyone with a permit may carry a concealed weapon into most CU-Boulder buildings.

Permission to carry concealed firearms on the CU-Boulder campus comes amid a nationwide debate over gun control. Former University of Colorado student James Holmes opened fire in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater, where 58 people were injured and 12 were killed at a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” in July.