Pulp

Avicii dials up lively dance show at Lava nightclub

Altan James | Staff Photographer

Dsk Chk, opener for Avicii, performs at Lava nightclub Sunday.

House music is a sweeping phenomenon, and it’s no wonder why it’s grown as much as it has. The combination of heart-pulsing music and stellar light shows makes it hard for fans to keep both feet planted firmly on the ground.

One of the biggest names in the electronic dance music genre, Avicii, and opener Dsk Chk entranced a crowd last night at Lava nightclub in the Turning Stone Resort & Casino Event Center.

The crowd appeared to be faded; concertgoers oozed from the walls drunkenly. Girls with bright tutus, shredded stockings and pink, glittered hair extensions passed by emotionlessly, and concertgoers resembling zombies roamed through a fogged, deserted city street. They were dazed, lost but enjoying every second of it.

Dsk Chk took the crowd by surprise with his sudden appearance. His opening set replaced Chemicals of Creation, a duo of disk jockeys that was supposed to open the show. Most striking was his Hugo Weaving-styled “V for Vendetta” mask. It was a signature get-up of his, and for anyone not familiar with his uncanny style, it may have been a shock.

“I’m melting my f***ing face off,” he said to the crowd.

It’s hard to be original in the electronic dance music genre, and Dsk Chk reflected that he would like to see other DJs come out who are “less linear” and “more theatrical” during an interview after his set. He’s been producing for quite a while and said he is from Zeta Reticuli, a section of the Milky Way galaxy.

Dsk Chk closed his set with a rendition of Wild Cherry’s “Play That Funky Music.” The tune became louder and the beats became deeper. It was a good crowd energizer before Avicii took the stage.

The scene before Avicii entered was dark and somber. There was a unifying anticipation in the air in which everyone knew what was coming, but wasn’t sure when, since the stage stayed pitch black for five minutes before he entered.

Avicii came on stage with a striking split-level digital fire to set the scene. He played many familiar tracks, like “Atom,” and one of his newer hits, “Silhouettes.” As fog and steam burst to the ceiling, the crowd radiated with drunken, drugged excitement. Or maybe they were just happy to be there.

“It’s very universal,” said Dsk Chk. “It’s something I think will stick around for a while.”

Flailing their limbs in every which way and swaying their heads from side to side, dancers still kept a steady, pulsating beat as Avicii DJed on.

Avicii didn’t say much as he played. The Swedish, blond-haired 23-year-old let the music do his talking, but danced like no one was watching.

Some may have been poking fun at those dancing by themselves, but it may be true that those dancing alone were having the most fun.

“Let’s kind of lose our heads for a night,” Dsk Chk said to the crowd.

On Sunday night when the DJs performed, fans might’ve done just that.