Orientation Guide 2012

Students use Federal Work-Study program to earn income

When most students arrive on campus, finding a job isn’t usually first on their lists of things to do. But Charlotte Horton, now a junior, made it a priority as a freshman.

Horton, a writing and rhetoric major and Daily Orange staff photographer, has been employed since her freshman year, when she worked in Brockway Dining Center through Syracuse University’s work-study program.

Since then, she has worked in Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center last year and eventually started working at the Carrier Dome Concessions stands during football and basketball games.

“It’s important that Syracuse gives students the opportunity to easily work for money,” Horton said. “Not all of our student population comes from wealthy homes or homes that can worry about money (aside from) tuition.”

Work-study is a federally funded program whose main purpose is to aid students with paying for school. If applicable, students are awarded an amount of money, usually anywhere from $2,500-2,700, which they work to earn, said Camille Donabella, manager of SU’s Student Employment Services. For a college student, it’s a regular job with regular paychecks.

The SU work-study program places about 6,000 students in jobs on- and off-campus every year. The program usually has employees working about 10-15 hours a week, Donabella said. As employees of the university, students can earn $7.25, minimum wage, or as much as $9.60 an hour – it depends on where they work.

“Syracuse provides work-study for all types of schedules,” Horton said.

Some of the jobs available are in dining halls, Carrier Dome Concessions, the library, the bookstore, Recreation Services and residential security. Options are tailored to students’ needs, Donabella said.

Off-campus jobs are also available. The university has partnerships with a number of non-profit agencies, including the Upstate University Hospital, and other agencies and daycare centers in the area.

“There’s a twofold benefit of having a work-study,” Donabella said. “The first one is that you are able to earn a paycheck to pay for books and supplies and living expenses. But it’s also a great way to build your resume, build your work experience and help you in the future.”

“But work-study does more than help students earn a little extra cash for school,” Donabella said. “It helps to build character and teach time management.”

Said Donabella: “A lot of students come here with very little job experience. It’s good to understand what it’s like to manage your time. I’m a firm believer in the more you do, the more you are able to manage your time.”

STEPS TO GETTING WORK-STUDY

STEP 1: Apply for financial aid and complete your FAFSA form. Here it will be determined whether or not you are eligible for work-study employment. If so, proceed to Step 2.

STEP 2: Go online and visit SUJobOpps.com. This university-run website will show you current open positions that you can apply for.

STEP 3: Pick a job that appeals to both you and your schedule, and apply.

STEP 4: Depending on the job, the department and your schedule, you may be asked to come in for an interview. It is important to have a good idea of your class schedule. Being prepared will not only impress your new employer but will also help to speed your hiring process along.

STEP 5: Begin your new on- or off- campus job, or discover that it wasn’t meant for you, and look for a new one.

OTHER IMPORTANT TIPS: Once you are hired, you will be sent over to the Student Employment Services office, 210 Steele Hall, to complete an I-9 form. This form essentially proves that you are allowed to legally work in the U.S. Make sure you bring as many of the following as you can — no copies — as you will need to present multiple forms of identification upon filling out the form:

-Passport
-Social security card
-Original birth certificate
-Permanent resident card
-Photo ID/license