Fashion

Start of school presents opportunity for changes in wardrobe, first impressions

/ The Daily Orange

Don't trust the trends

Good morning, class. Let me teach you a thing or two about looking your best.

With a new school year beginning, there’s no better time to revamp your personal style. A killer wardrobe can help you start the year off right and provide a little relief from the looming stress the semester will bring.

When you think about reinvigorating your style, you may need a little inspiration. Personally, my summer was pretty inspiring, fashion-wise. I spent it at an internship in New York City at the Museum of Modern Art, and it definitely affected the way I dressed.

Tim Gunn, my idol and a mentor to 10 seasons of “Project Runway” contestants, says in his book, “Gunn’s Golden Rules: Life’s Little Lessons for Making It Work,” “One of the things I love about New York City is how much people dress up for one another. Walking down the street is such a pleasure, because people are really turned out.” My aunt noticed this as well when she visited me in the city.

“Everyone looks so chic,” she commented as we walked down the street.

This aspect of city living was something I looked forward to and found both motivating and exhausting. For the first time in my life, I had to look both professional and presentable five days a week. A couple weeks into the summer, I realized I hadn’t worn my favorite jeans in over a month.

But getting done up every morning felt great. It was a daily reminder that what I was doing was important and special. It made me feel grown up, confident and ready to take on the world.

If, like me, you enjoyed looking spiffy for an internship this summer, consider adding a touch of professionalism to your daily wear. Obviously it’d be excessive to wear a suit to class everyday (props if you do though), but a stiff collar here and a shiny loafer there can provide just enough polish.

Even if your summer was nothing like mine, it can still provide you with some style inspiration. If you traveled, think about incorporating your destination’s fashion sense into your own wardrobe. Whether it’s a touch of Euro flair or some sun-kissed beach attitude, your wardrobe can reflect your summer adventures. A great trip is worth reliving, so use a unique item of clothing to bring back memories and show others what you did this summer.

Making new friends is a great part of starting a school year, and personal style can be a big part of that. Call it judgmental, but how a person is dressed says a lot about him or her. A distinct personal style can tell you about a person without words and can make a person stand out. I always appreciate when someone has strong personal style, even if it is nothing like my own. In my book, bad style is better than no style.

Think about playing with your look as a way to attract people’s interest while also making a statement about yourself. You never know when “I love that shirt” could lead to a great friendship.

The new school year holds such tantalizing potential. Now is the perfect time to explore and try new things, and fashion is a great way to do that. For freshman, this is doubly true. Between living away from your parents for the first time and being new in town, you’ve got the ideal situation in which to wear what you want and be who you want to be.

Here’s to a new school year and new beginning. I encourage you to take this opportunity to develop and enjoy your personal style, and use it as an extension of yourself. Can we make this year at Syracuse University more stylish than ever? I’m not sure, but let’s give it the old college try.

Ian Simon-Curry is a junior public relations major. His column appears every other Monday. Follow him on Twitter at @incrediblyian. He can be reached at [email protected].