Crime

Six suspects rob student near entrance of Thornden Park

UPDATED: Aug. 24, 2012, 3:50 p.m.

A male Syracuse University student was robbed by a group of six suspects Wednesday night near the entrance to Thornden Park.

At about 11 p.m. Wednesday, the suspects approached the victim in a friendly manner at the intersection of Madison Street and Ostrom Avenue and asked him for money.  One suspect then struck the student with a piece of wood, and another kicked him after he fell to the ground. The student did not suffer injuries, according to a Department of Public Safety notice sent out to all students.

The student’s eyeglasses and headphones were stolen. The suspects then fled west on Madison Street, according to the release.

Deputy Chief of DPS Drew Buske said DPS had no additional information on the robbery and that the Syracuse Police Department is leading the investigation.

Buske advised students to walk in groups of two or three, be cautious near areas like Thornden Park and also to cross the street if approached by a group that looks suspicious or makes them uncomfortable.

In the release, DPS asked for help identifying the suspects, who were described as black males, approximately 5 feet 9 inches tall, medium build and 17 to 18 years old. The six suspects were wearing jeans and hooded sweatshirts draped around their shoulders at the time of the robbery.