Repeated late nights can lead to strokes, other health problems

Midnight rolls around and students glance longingly at their clocks, but know that sleep is several hours away. When it comes down to it, students must make a choice between sleep and letting their sleep fall to the wayside in pursuit of good grades.

The number of people who obtain the recommended eight hours or more of sleep a night has dropped from 38 percent in 2001 to 28 percent, according to a June 11 USA Today article.

The National Sleep Foundation recently found that lack of sleep is directly linked to an increased chance of stroke and several other negative health effects, according to the article.

Exercise and a healthy diet is not enough to avoid an elevated chance of stroke; sleep is also an essential factor to good health, according to the article.

Adults are not aware of the true importance sleep directly has on the body. Insufficient sleep is linked to high risk factors, even to those individuals who are in good general health, according to the article.

Despite the fact that lack of sleep is directly linked to dangerous health issues, many students at both graduate and undergraduate levels neglect these needs.

“My mind feels most definitely slowed down after a long night,” said Devin Hill, a junior sport management major. “The morning after always seems like the longest day of my life.”

Tibor Palfai, a professor of psychology at Syracuse University who has worked in the field for more than 40 years, said in an email that lack of sleep makes people more prone to infections and colds because deep sleep is essential for the body’s immune response.

Simply put, he said, lack of deep sleep prevents memory formation, ultimately decreasing one’s productivity. He said his students pull all-nighters, and when they do, their performance in his classroom noticeably suffers.

Palfai said he was aware that lack of sleep leads to an unhealthy lifestyle, but he was not aware that it could result in strokes or other serious health problems.

Kendall Winston, a junior music education major in the Bandier Program for Music and the Entertainment Industries, said she regularly stays up until 3 a.m. getting schoolwork done because there is simply not enough time during the day.

Although she is aware of the severe health risks from lack of sleep, Winston said she would not change her sleep habits. She is willing to put her academics first at the expense of her own health.

Nolan Hart, a junior sport management major, said he regularly stays up past 3 a.m. as a result of procrastination and schoolwork.

“I get a high from having my back against the wall, knowing that I have an assignment due in a few hours,” he said. “I like the pressure that the late nights bring.”

But Hart said the day after a long night is always “struggle city.” He said he experiences constant exhaustion and his performance in both athletics and academics are noticeably worsened.

Hart was shocked to learn that lack of sleep is linked to risk of stroke and other health habits. Unlike Winston, he said he would change his sleep habits. These changes in habits entail getting work done earlier in the day, as well as going to sleep at a reasonable and consistent hour in hopes to better his health.