University Union

Calvin Harris, Childish Gambino concert breaks Juice Jam ticket sales record

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, the day of Juice Jam was misstated. The concert is Sunday, Sept. 9. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

This September’s Juice Jam concert featuring electronic disc jockey Calvin Harris and rapper Childish Gambino is the highest-selling Juice Jam concert in University Union history.

The official ticket sale count as of 3:30 p.m. Friday, the last ticket count taken, was 7,022 tickets, 22 more than the previous highest-selling Juice Jam. Juice Jam’s 2010 concert, featuring mash-up artists Super Mash Bros., alternative rock band Passion Pit and hip-hop artist Lupe Fiasco, previously held the record.

“It’s really exciting to think that our undergrad population is around 13,000, and more than half of them bought tickets,” said Sarah Fleisher, director of public relations for UU.

The show has an 8,500-ticket capacity. Students can still pick up tickets for the show at the Schine Student Center Box Office or online. Tickets are $10 for SU students, staff and faculty with valid identification.

“We definitely have the potential to sell out this year,” Fleisher said.

Fleisher credited the caliber of the concert’s headlining acts for playing a part in the record-breaking ticket sales. Harris is creating buzz by performing before the release of “18 Months,” his third studio album slated for release at the end of October. Childish Gambino appeared at most of the summer’s largest festivals, including Lollapalooza in August, Bonnaroo Music Festival in June and Coachella Music Festival in April.

“They’re huge names right now and have been trending,” Fleisher said. “Especially since Calvin Harris has collaborated with some big-name artists, including Rihanna.”

Fleisher also said both artists have grown in popularity after being nominated for this year’s MTV Video Music Awards. Childish Gambino’s “Heartbeat” is nominated for Best Hip-Hop Video and Harris’s “Feel So Close” earned a bid for Best Electronic Dance Music Video.

University Union has yet to announce Juice Jam’s special opening act, but plans to in the coming days. Fleischer said that the organization is still finalizing details for the act.

The ninth annual Juice Jam will take place at Skytop Field on South Campus on Sunday, Sept. 9. Doors open at noon and the first act will take the stage at 1 p.m.