Syracuse University graduate is wounded, recovering after Colorado movie theater shooting

The Syracuse University graduate who delivered the student address at May’s commencement was among those injured when a gunman opened fire at a premiere of “The Dark Knight Rises”in a Colorado movie theater Friday morning.

Stephen Barton is recovering after undergoing surgery to remove shotgun pellets from his neck and chest, said his brother, David Barton. He is among the 50 people injured after a gunman wearing a mask set off an unknown gas and fired into a crowded movie theater in Aurora, Colo., killing 12 people, according to the associated press.

David Barton said he spoke to his brother Friday morning and that his brother’s injuries are not life-threatening. He anticipated his brother will be out of the hospital in a few days.

“He’s in very good spirits — very high spirits,” David Barton said. “He said that he’s feeling great, so all in all he’s doing very well.”

Barton was on a cross country bicycle trip with a high school friend when they decided to stop in Colorado, David Barton said. Their trip began in Virginia and was set to conclude in California.

Barton arrived in Denver Thursday night. He later posted a picture of his ticket for the 12:05 a.m. showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” on Instagram.

Barton graduated with a triple major in international relations, economics and Russian language, literature and culture. He is a Fulbright Scholar, Coronat Scholar and was one of 35 2011-12 Remembrance Scholars.

Thomas Wolfe, SU dean of student affairs, said the university will reach out to Barton and offer support. Wolfe said he knew Barton well through Barton’s involvement as a university scholar and with Habitat for Humanity, and that Barton is “one of those really great engaged students.”

Said Wolfe: “We are deeply moved by this news. Stephen is a great person and we wish him a full recovery.”

—Asst. Copy Editor Dylan Segelbaum contributed reporting to this article.