Splice

Knight in shining armor: Batman trilogy swoops in with all-star cast, dynamic action

4.5/5 Popcorns

Batman may have donned his suit for the last time, but at least he went out in a blaze of heroic glory.

Christopher Nolan’s epic trilogy concludes with “The Dark Knight Rises,” a satisfying end to the most innovative superhero saga ever told on film. It doesn’t quite match the brilliant chaos of its predecessor, “The Dark Knight,” but this gripping finish has explosive action, an intricately layered plot and dynamic performances from its all-star cast.

Nolan’s trilogy is special because it’s not just a thrill ride — each film is a thought-provoking exploration of deeper themes. “Batman Begins” was an origin story about identity and vengeance. “The Dark Knight” questioned human nature in a philosophical battle of order versus chaos, personified by Heath Ledger’s haunting performance as the Joker. The final chapter is about redemption, class struggles and the true meaning of heroism.

The story picks up eight years after Batman disappeared, taking the blame for the murders of former Gotham City District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart).  Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale), is a reclusive shell of his former self, shut away in Wayne Manor with no company but his devoted butler, Alfred (Michael Caine).

Wayne is shaken out of retirement when he meets a bold, young cop named John Blake, (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), and dangerously seductive cat burglar Selina Kyle (Anne Hathaway).

Wane dusts off the bat suit, picks up some new toys from Wayne Enterprises CEO Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman), and faces off against a new villain: masked terrorist Bane, played by Tom Hardy, who is amassing an army in the depths of Gotham’s underground. Bane’s plan is already too far in motion to stop and his army soon takes control of Gotham, holding it hostage for the entire world to see.

In its own way, the film becomes a gritty war movie as a resistance movement, led by Blake and Commissioner Gordon, fights against Bane’s occupying forces. But in the end there’s only one man who can save the city, and he’s the one wearing the black cape.

Nolan puts together a talented cast of veterans and newcomers, with especially captivating performances from Gordon-Levitt and Hathaway. Gordon-Levitt plays the idealistic young detective with a passion and likeability that jump off the screen. Hathaway delivers her lines with flirty arrogance, landing a good quip before swiping a watch or Bruce Wayne’s car keys. The dark knight himself is as gallant as ever, with Bale uttering lines in his signature raspy, menacing Batman voice. Although he’s always been a better Bruce Wayne, veiling his deep-seated anger and pain with superficial charm.

Hardy plays the muscle-bound mastermind Bane with a wit and intelligence to complement his unforgiving brutality. His voice, though sometimes difficult to understand, sounds like a cross between Sean Connery and an Irish Darth Vader. As a young boy sings the national anthem during an early scene set at a football game, Bane remarks, “What a lovely, lovely voice,” before blowing the field up at kickoff.

The action is pretty damn impressive. Gotham is finally rebuilt after the Joker’s devastation, just in time for Bane to tear it down again. Among the rubble is a football stadium, a prison, city hall and every single city bridge. Dizzying car chases feature Batman speeding through the city on his bat-motorcycle or in his stealth helicopter, dubbed “The Bat.” During epic fight scenes, the audience feels the power behind each swift blow, culminating in an intense final battle pitting Gotham’s finest against a horde of henchmen. The ending will be an object of fan arguments for years, but in the big picture, the film’s smaller flaws are easily overlooked.

“The Dark Knight Rises” is a fitting farewell bow, wrapping up its story with a resounding bang. Nolan doesn’t spell things out for the audience; he lets them connect the dots for themselves. The trilogy has made far too much money not to warrant an inevitable reboot, but whoever takes that job will have colossal shoes to fill.