Pulp

Fair play: Great New York State Fair offers eclectic opportunities for food, music and entertainment

Syracuse is buzzing at the end of every August. That’s thanks to the Great New York State Fair being held here every year.

Bringing in tens of thousands of visitors from near and far, it’s a 12-day experience that anyone can grab a taste of in just a few short hours. From petting zoos, quirky men dressed as too-tall leprechauns and fried Oreo stands, the fair can be made an end-of-the-summer tradition, or beginning-of-the-semester ritual. This year it ends on Sept. 3.

Here’s a look at just a few of the amusing things the fair has had to offer.

Musical Guests

The fair lined up a list of musical and celebrity guests for each of its 12 days. From acts like Mike Posner, who sang hit single “Cooler Than Me,” to the Food Network’s Guy Fieri from “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” there have been acts for fans of just about everything.

Branden Campbell, who plays bass guitar for Neon Trees, weighed in on some of his favorite fair memories before the set. Campbell is the father of a 9-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son, and said he enjoys bringing them to the fair in their town of Provo, Utah, and seeing how much things like a Ferris wheel ride excite them.

He and the band, which played the opening night of the fair on Aug. 23, tried a Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger.

“We had to try it,” he said. “It was interesting. The taste didn’t melt together for this refined signature. It felt like I was eating a doughnut and a hamburger at the same time, and wasn’t something I planned to repeat.”

Instead, Campbell said he prefers more traditional fair food.

“Give me a classic corndog and some funnel cake and we’ll call it good,” Campbell said.

Lady Galaxy

A traveling artist since 2000, Lady Galaxy and her Live Art Experience are truly intriguing, entertaining and awe-inspiring. To say she spray paints is an understatement. At the fair, Lady Galaxy layered levels of colors in spray paint and, using a palette knife, recycled outdated newspapers, round circular objects and “hopefully a little bit of imagination,” she said.

She created works of art in minutes by scraping away at just the right spots. Self-taught, she has been able to support herself solely by the sale of her work. Intimidating at first glance and shielded by a double-sided gas mask, the tapped-in microphone showed a different side of Lady Galaxy. It showed spectators that beneath the blonde- and rose-colored hair and tattoo sleeves on nearly every limb, she was down to earth and was there to share her art with anyone who’d give her a chance.

The Land of Milk and Dairy

The Dairy Products building has a lot to offer for any lactose-loving lunatic. With the spirit of both the Olympics and New York in mind, the main spectacle in the center of the room was a butter and Greek yogurt sculpture on a spinning stage in a glass case. The main eye-catcher was a Statue of Liberty with a cow’s head, complemented by a running athlete torchbearer. The sweltering heat outside made the popcorn topper’s ability to stay solid impressive.

A crowd — and wallet — favorite at the building was the Rainbow Dairy Bar, where both plain and chocolate milk can be purchased for 25 cents per cup, each of which is labeled with “I Heart Milk.” Dozens of fairgoers could be found waiting in line at any given time.

Flash Pups

A start-up company from Minneapolis, these battery-powered, light-up hats, ties and tees would be a conversation starter at any party, or any place with sound, for that matter. The lights react to any sound, so they will flash to the beat of the newest house music tune next Friday night, or shutter with every clap of your applause. All of the designs are hand-drawn.