Fashion

Don’t let summer heat melt away stylish outfits

If you haven’t seen the news featuring people baking pizzas on their car dashboards by now, you must be living under a secluded — albeit cool — rock. With temperatures reaching triple digits, it’s difficult to fathom tomorrow’s wardrobe while a stream of sunscreen runs down your face, probably onto the shortest shorts you own.

“Heat wave, schmeat wave!” yells the picky fashionista perched on your sunburnedshoulder. She distastefully eyes your neutral colored tank. However, even the most viral beauty bloggers have to take a relaxed approach to fashion sometimes, because who has the time or the clinically strong deodorant to take on this weather? But in light of these sticky times, it’s easy to stay comfortable and burn free while still looking fierce.

If you haven’t noticed, the taboo of revealing clothes has become a thing of the past. It’s no surprise we’re seeing designers and celebrities taking note, with high-waisted bottoms taking charge and cropped tanks picking up steam. So go ahead: show off those curves and buy the floral dress with the tastefully placed slits, the pleated sheer tank and the neon green mesh top. Trust me, no one will be paying that much attention. They’ll be too busy rolling up their pant legs and regretting wearing fresh-out-of-the-sauna skinny jeans.

But if you’re going to wear skinnies, make sure your saran-wrapped gams are as colorful as they come. From tangerine tango to mint green, you’ve probably heard all the trendiest colors by now. But, what you probably don’t know is the wonders they’ll do for a tan. It’s sun-kissed heaven if you color-block appropriately.

To go along with the 80s-inspired pops of color, how about adding a mullet? This disease of a trend is back, but now it’s better than it ever was. This time, it’s infecting your precious wardrobe. The high-low trend has hit it big this season, and has taken light-weight apparel to a whole new level of fluidity by adding a tail-like hem to skirts and tops. The best part is its adherence to any genre of style, much like a chameleon. Pair a long mullet skirt with a plain tank and a chunky necklaceand you’re street style worthy. Pair a high-low tank with some mint shorts and you’re beach ready.

Speaking of beach ready, you know those huge, floppy sun hats you’ve been seeing next to the jewelry section in your favorite shop lately? That isn’t an outreach to a broader consumer market. Those are targeted at you, and with good reason, too. Pick your favorite color, grab it along with a vat of sunscreen and a pair of shades, and plop it on your head next time you stop by the beach or wherever there’s even the tiniest amount of sun. Skin cancer knows no boundaries. It’s probably the safest and most vintage trend you’ll see this season.

If your make-up hasn’t slicked off by now, the best thing you could possibly do to your delicate face this summer is to give it a break. Tinted moisturizer and a dash of color on your cheeks and lips do wonders, and if you’re wearing shades 24/7, there’s no reason to bust out your smudge-proof colors at every chance.

Whatever you wear, just don’t bake your pizza on your dashboard. At least do it on the sidewalk so you can be featured in your town’s street style blog. Whatever your style is, take a break, grab a lemonade and lounge it out. Don’t sweat the small stuff — literally.

Daisy Becerra is a junior magazine journalism major. Her column appears online occasionally. She can be reached at [email protected].