Fine allegations

Cantor says new sexual harassment rules, policies to be implemented at SU

New sexual harassment rules and policies for programs involving minors will be implemented at Syracuse University, according to an email sent by Chancellor Nancy Cantor.

Cantor sent an email to students after the Board of Trustee’s special committee released a report in response to the 2005 investigation into the child molestation allegations against Bernie Fine. The 52-page report concluded that while the university did not cover up any wrongdoing during their investigation, SU should have contacted law enforcement officials.

“I supported the Special Committee’s review at the outset and support its recommendations now so that we can respond most effectively in the event we ever again become aware of allegations of sexual abuse,” Cantor said in the email.

The change in policies is the product of a joint internal review by the school’s Board of Trustees and the SU Working Group on Policies Related to Sexual Conduct, Campus Culture and Safety. The analysis began in December 2011. The Working Group’s review is ongoing, and will report its findings in the fall.

Summer programs will now have new notification and reporting protocols, and the athletics department has supervision of minors policies. In addition, new training programs will be implemented across different areas of the university, according to the email.

To ensure that all policies are relevant and demonstrate best practices, the Working Group has created a schedule to periodically review the policies, according to the email.

“Our goal remains fostering a safe and secure environment for all members of the University and the community,” Cantor said.

The most important thing now, she said, is that the campus community continues to learn from these events in the long-term, so that anyone affected by abuse or harassment can come forward to a supportive environment.

Cantor said she plans to further examine the released report and then continue to work toward improvements.

“I will study and reflect further on the report I received today,” she said, “and will join all of you in discussing how to ensure that the important conversation generated by these events—in Syracuse and elsewhere—does not end.”