Araca Project puts SU Drama alumni on center stage

Justin Nichols felt like he was leaving a family behind when he graduated from Syracuse University’s Department of Drama.

During his four years as a drama student at SU, Nichols, a 2011 alumnus, had developed close relationships with the other students in his department. He relocated to New York City, the urban metropolis downstate, after receiving his diploma.

Nichols became involved with the Araca Project as a producer upon his arrival in the city. Now, Nichols is spending his second year with the project as a producer of “Hot Mess in Manhattan,” one of the six shows being performed during this year’s Araca Project. The full project runs from July 31 to Sept. 29.

The Araca Project is an early career initiative that comes to life as an annual collection of six original plays directed by, produced by and starring recent college graduates from the classes of 2002 through 2012. The Araca Project is a part of the Araca Group, a theatrical production company that has launched household name musicals, including“Urinetown,” “Wicked” and “Rock of Ages.”

Founded in 2009, its original mission was to give SU seniors in the drama department a taste of producing shows in New York City, said Araca Project founder Danielle Von Gal. However, the project soon turned into a program for recent graduates.

Being surrounded by his former classmates gave Nichols a sense of comfort and familiarity in this time of change.

“Leaving college, it’s kind of scary,” Nichols said. “But you’re with people who you been with for the past few years, and they’ve seen you do stupid things, and they’ve seen you do great things, and then you’re mixing that with meeting all these other people.”

Nichols said the Araca Project was a big help in transitioning to post-graduate life in New York City, and that it provided a sort of “safety net” after graduation.

Von Gal, a 2009 alumnus who studied acting, said she feels that the post-graduate experience, without other classes serving as distractions, is more beneficial to participants.

“Truly, the only way to learn about producing is to actually do it, which is tough to do over a week in the spring of your senior year,” Von Gal said. “They’ve been out of school, they have a good idea about what part of the business they see themselves in, and they know who they want to work with.”

In the past, the graduates have solely been SU alumni, but this year some University of Michigan alumni participated as well. The project gives graduates from the two universities an opportunity to experience real production.

Out of more than 90 shows that applied for inclusion in this year’s Araca Project, the selection includes six student-written plays and musicals. Each one runs for five to 10 days. The shows are “Cake,” “The Black Book,” “The Man with America Skin,” “Hot Mess in Manhattan,” “One Night Only” and “The Rescignos Variety Show.”

Works selected for inclusion begin a two-week production intensive in June, which consists of crash courses in general management, press, publicity, technical direction and more. After a rehearsal period, productions premiere in the early fall.

Nichols said that in his second year, he feels that his skills have grown and he is well equipped as a producer.

“I had no idea what I was doing,” Nichols said. “But I had to figure it all out. This year, I have accomplished that show, I’ve now been in the city for a year, and so I have a wider knowledge. But at the same time, every show comes with its own challenges.”