Fine allegations : SU’s 2005 report reveals new details, flaws in investigation

Syracuse University’s 2005 investigation regarding the child molestation allegations against Bernie Fine reveals unreported details of the case.

But it also contains flaws and a new set of questions to be answered.

In the 15-page report, obtained and published by The Post-Standard, Davis alleges that Fine sexually molested him beginning in sixth or seventh grade and continued until the age of 26. He alleges that Laurie Fine, Fine’s wife, witnessed at least one of the incidents.

The report does not at any point raise clear concern regarding both the former associate basketball coach’s relationship with a ball boy and Davis’ connection to the team. And in their statements, no witnesses interviewed by SU said they believed Davis’ story.

Investigators gathered statements from people who had personal, financial or professional relationships with Fine. Investigators contacted SU head basketball coach Jim Boeheim regarding the allegations but did not ask for a statement from him.

Statements included in the report are those of: Fine, Davis, assistant basketball coach Mike Hopkins, Ludwig Vita, who often visited Fine’s house, Fine’s wife Laurie Fine, businessman Paul Missigman and Corey Parker, former SU strength and conditioning coach.

At least four of the 30 names in the report are misspelled, including Parker and a former basketball team manager.

Laurie Fine filed a lawsuit against ESPN three weeks ago for libel pertaining to the allegations they reported against her husband. Her lawyer, Lawrence Fisher, had tried to obtain a copy of SU’s 2005 investigation report.

‘The report was going to be released sooner or later,’ he said. ‘We would’ve filed a lawsuit to obtain a copy one way or another.’

He said the investigation supports Laurie Fine’s case.

‘It further exposes Bobby Davis for the worst and further shows ESPN investigated the matter and reported with no credible information,’ he said. ‘In the wake of the Penn State scandal, they decided to release the information anyways and wanted to boost their ratings.’

Fine has not been charged and has denied all allegations.