First of kin: Syracuse students share stories on being only member of family to graduate thus far

Rachael Signy, senior history and forensic science dual major

Ever since she was born, Bonnie Kong was expected to be a college graduate.

The diploma she will receive as she walks across the stage May 13 holds more worth for her family sitting in the audience – this will be the first time they witness a family member graduating.

‘Education is something that has always been stressed in my family,’ she said. ‘If my parents had the opportunity, they would’ve went to college, but they didn’t.’

It is unclear how many first-generation college students walk each year, but some choose to spend their time on campus as part of The Story Project, an organization that provides an open environment for first-generation students to share experiences. The program was developed in the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs two years ago. There are about 12-15 active members.

Kong, a senior policy studies and economics dual major, is one student who participated in The Story Project. She served as a mentor to freshmen last year.

Graduating from Hobart and William Smith Colleges as a first-generation student, Jawad Cipriani, a graduate assistant in the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs, said he recognizes the need for a program like The Story Project because he understands what first-generation students are going through.

‘Some of the students may not always have people at home to ask these kinds of questions,’ said Cipriani, currently a graduate student in the School of Education.

Kong, whose parents emigrated from Hong Kong and did not have the opportunity to attend college, thinks it is sometimes difficult for first-generation students to adjust to the college lifestyle.

Kong works as a tour guide for U100 and has witnessed helicopter parents, especially some who visit their kids every weekend. Kong’s parents only visited her once or twice freshman year, so she had to figure out how to do things on her own.

‘As a first-year college student, you’re a little more independent because you can’t really turn to your parents for help,’ Kong said. ‘You just have to make the most of campus resources here.’

Throughout her four years, Kong felt a lot of pressure to be a good role model for her younger brother. When he was a senior in high school, she helped him apply to colleges and edited his essays. Next year, he will attend college at Lehigh University as the second person to attend college in their family.

But not all first-generation students have taken part in The Story Project.

When Donald Saint-Germain’s parents immigrated to America from Haiti, they only had high school degrees attached to their names. When he told them he was going to go to college, he said, they were his biggest support system.

‘Growing up, there were a lot of tough times where I didn’t think I would make it to college,’ said Saint-Germain, a senior African-American studies and policy studies dual major. ‘But when you have that foundation built at home, there is so much more encouragement.’

Although his parents were supportive, he said it was hard not having parents who understood the system.

Thus, when Saint-Germain first arrived on campus, he knew he had to find family away from home. He credits the SU extracurricular opportunities he took advantage of to do just that. He became president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, a brother of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. and a member of the SU Rugby Club.

Rachael Signy, another first-generation student, compares her mom’s excitement for graduation to most moms’ excitement for their daughters’ wedding day.

‘She took me to get a pedicure the other day, and she’s getting her hair done,’ said Signy, a senior history and forensic science dual major. ‘She already has plans to how she’s going to put the diploma in the frame, and she wants to put the robes and the hat with it.’

Attending college for Signy was always a part of the 20-year plan to become head curator at the British Museum. The next step is to remain on campus to attend graduate school for museum studies and obtain her doctorate by age 30.

At 12 years old, Signy and her parents immigrated to America from London. Self-described as coming from a middle-class family, she said it was always expected that she would go to college. She does not consider being a first-generation college student a defining part of her identity. Her parents did not attend a university because at the time, in England, it was not needed to have a successful career.

As graduation rolls closer and closer, Signy said she would not change her college experience for the world. She is proud to say that she is a first-generation college student, and she encourages all others who are debating making that same decision to do it.

‘If you’re on an edge, it’s worth it to make that leap because it might be the best thing you’ve ever done,’ Signy said. ‘It may take you places that your parents never dreamed it would take you, or you even thought it would take you.’

Saying goodbye to friends, packing her room and taking her last finals has made her realize it’s over. There is just one thing she has left to do before graduation.

Said Signy: ‘I still have to get another dress, though, so I’m not that ready.’