University Union : Annual MayFest event puts four varied acts into spotlight

Four artists on the rise, plus free alcohol and food, will be in store for students who attend MayFest in Walnut Park.

On Friday, though the weather doesn’t look promising, the Student Association and University Union will host their annual MayFest concert.

As part of Syracuse University tradition, the outdoor show will welcome the end of another school year. And even with low temperatures expected, it will also be a celebration of spring.

The festivities kick off at 1 p.m. in Walnut Park, located by Marshall Street and East Adams Street in front of E.S. Bird Library. Despite forecasts calling for rain, UU President Rob Dekker said the event will only be canceled if the weather presents any threat to attendees.

‘It will be rain or shine,’ he said.

Though the event is free for all undergraduate students with a valid Syracuse University or State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry ID, all graduate students from both schools and College of Law students must present a pre-purchased ticket.

Aer will be the first act to take the stage at 1:45 p.m. The group is an up-and-coming hip-hop/rap act with a Slightly Stoopid kind of vibe, according to the duo’s website. David von Mering and Carter Schultz’s first album hit iTunes in May 2011.

The next performer will be Philadelphia native 5 & A Dime at 2:20 p.m. A disc jockey, mash-up artist and producer triple-threat, he is known for high-energy performances coupled with a light show, according to his website.

Up third is YouTube phenomenon Timeflies, set to perform at 3:05 p.m. Timeflies puts out a new mix on the site every Tuesday.Cal Shapiro, a 23-year-old New York City native and his 22-year-old producer, Rob ‘Rez’ Resnick, dropped their first album in late September. Since then, they have toured colleges and local venues, performing their music compilations, which include pop, dubstep and Disney.

The show will end with solo performer Outasight, creator of ‘Tonight Is the Night,’ which peaked at the 20th spot on the Billboard charts. Perhaps the most experienced of the lineup, pop singer Richard Andrew has been performing since 2007 and signed with Warner Bros. Records in 2009 when he made his mainstream debut.

With four up-and-coming acts on the bill, this year’s MayFest concert will wind down the semester with a bang.