Television icon, SU alumnus Dick Clark dies

Television personality and Syracuse University alumnus Dick Clark died Wednesday at the age of 82.

Clark suffered from a heart attack Wednesday morning at Saint John’s hospital in Santa Monica, Calif., where he underwent an outpatient procedure the previous day, according to an online article published by the Associated Press.

Clark pursued his passion for broadcast at SU, where he worked as a disc jockey at the student radio station while earning a business degree, according to an ABC article published Wednesday. Clark also donated money to construct the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity house on campus.

He was best known for hosting ‘Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve’ and the original ‘American Bandstand.’ His New Year’s Eve show became an annual ABC tradition. Clark captivated audiences for more than 30 years by introducing the entertainment and counting down to midnight as the ball dropped in Times Square.

‘American Bandstand’ was one of the network TV’s longest-running series on ABC’s daytime lineup from 1957-87, according to the article. The show introduced stars ranging from Buddy Holly to Madonna, and eventually solidified its place as an American classic when Clark donated the Bandstand’s original podium and backdrop to the Smithsonian Institution.

Clark continued performing even after suffering a stroke that affected his ability to speak and walk in 2004. Although his speech was still impaired, Clark was back on TV within a year, hosting his own New Year’s Eve special. That year, Clark told the audience, ‘I had to teach myself how to walk and talk again. It’s been a long, hard fight. My speech is not perfect but I’m getting there,’ according to the ABC article.

But Clark returned to host the show every year, and was recently joined by Ryan Seacrest, host of American Idol.

Born in Mount Vernon, N.Y. on Nov. 30, 1929, Clark began his career in show business as a teenager. Clark worked in the mailroom of WRUN, a radio station run by his father and uncle in Upstate New York, according to the article. Clark was on the air before he graduated high school, filling in for announcers and the weatherman.

Widely known as ‘the world’s oldest teenager’ because of his boyish looks, Clark bridged the gap between rebellious new music and traditional show business, according to the article. He was the founder of Dick Clark Productions, which created movies, games and music shows, beauty pageants and more.

‘The $25,000 Pyramid,’ ”TV’s Bloopers and Practical Jokes’ and the American Music Awards are also among Clark’s credits, according to the article.