Finally there: Tips, tricks make finals week more enjoyable for stressed out students

It happens every year, no matter how hard students may try to fight it. After a semester of procrastinating, five months worth of stress accumulates into one week full of exams, presentations and sleepless nights. Although it’s a tough time of year, it doesn’t have to be that bad. With a few helpful bits of wisdom, it is possible to make finals week bearable and maybe even fun. 

Old habits

Remember flash cards from middle school? They’re about to be your best friends. Make a set and bribe your roommate to quiz you. Or create a color-coordinated study calendar to stay organized as things get hectic.

Power naps

The afternoon Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he took a 20-minute nap directly beforehand. OK, that’s not true. But napping can help recharge your batteries and leave you in better shape for a long hard week.

Bust a move

Whether you’re the next Broadway star or have two left feet, finals week is the time to let your inner Zac Efron shine. Turn up some tunes and have a dance battle with a friend for a much-needed study break.

Let’s get it on

Marvin Gaye once crooned, ‘We’re all sensitive people with so much to give.’ Thus, a little physical contact can go a long way when it comes to stress relief. Just tell your roommate you’re studying for anatomy.

Comfort food

For late-night cravings after hours of staring at the walls in E.S. Bird Library, stick to the classics. Marshall Street is home to staples like Insomnia Cookies for cookies and frozen yogurt or Acropolis Pizza House for pizza, chicken fingers and munchies galore.

Jam out

Pump up to Survivor’s ‘Eye of the Tiger’ to get stoked for studying. Then, chill out with Explosions In the Sky when flipping through notes. And what’s a study session without a victory jam like Queen’s ‘We Will Rock You?’

Surfin’ the web

Preserve your mental health by taking a study break once in a while. No one will know you’re watching reruns of Tosh.0 or pinning melted crayon pictures on Pinterest when you should be flipping through PowerPoint slides.

Run, freedom, run

So much studying can cause muscles to cramp up in an unflattering I-just-huddled-over-my-computer-for-six-hours kind of look. Get that stress off your shoulders and spend some much-needed time unwinding by working out at the gym.

Meditation

To calm your mind, body and soul, which are all probably suffering, try an hour or two of relaxing meditation and yoga. Your chance is in Flanagan Gym on Wednesday through Saturday nights from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Night on the town

Tired of singing in the shower? Walk over to Funk ‘n Waffles on Marshall Street for an Open Mic Night. Belt out a classic ‘N Sync song, saying, ‘Bye Bye Bye’ to finals.