British high school students able to take SU Abroad courses

British high school graduates will have the opportunity to take classes at Syracuse University’s abroad location in London beginning this fall.

United Kingdom residents taking a gap year between high school graduation and the start of college are being welcomed by SU to expose them to American-style college classes before actually enrolling in an undergraduate program, according to a March 22 SU News release.

‘The Syracuse gap year semester in London will provide an opportunity for students to test out an American style classroom experience and earn academic credit, at the same time, they can have the flexibility to pursue other interests and activities,’ said Nancy Rothschild, associate dean of admissions at SU, in an email.

SU’s pilot program is designed to give these students a combination of first-year accredited courses and electives. All credit will be transferable to most American universities, according to SU’s Gap Year Semester program website. The program is intended to help British students adjust to the U.S. higher education system, which has become an increasingly popular prospect worldwide.

Students graduating from British secondary schools do not always have the proper resources to advise them about the college admissions process in the United States, Rothschild said. She said she is confident this new program will provide guidance to interested students.

The program is set to start this fall. British students who enroll will attend classes at SU London’s Faraday House and will take required courses in writing and contemporary issues, according to the release. The semester consists of nine credits total. The required coursework will also contain an interdisciplinary seminar only available to gap-year students, according to the program’s website.

Rothschild said the educational landscape in the United Kingdom has changed dramatically during the last few years. The cost of British higher education has tripled because of the current economic situation, resulting in fewer openings at British universities. As a result, many British students are considering studying at American universities for the first time.

‘It will give British students a chance to ‘try before they buy’ – to take a semester of U.S. liberal arts courses before committing to a full four year degree,’ said Meredith Hyde, program director of the gap year program, in an email. ‘American university education works very differently from British degrees; this gives them a chance to understand it firsthand.’

Hyde said the program will give British students the opportunity to study alongside American students and will give SU students the chance to take classes with individuals who can provide different viewpoints on important issues.

SU’s Gap Year Semester will allow British students to sample a U.S. education without an obligation. British students will gain a more global perspective on topics like business, politics and international relations.