Student struck by South Campus bus

UPDATED: Feb. 6, 2012, 2:31 a.m. EST

The Syracuse University sophomore struck by a South Campus bus early Saturday morning is recovering at Upstate Medical University Hospital.

Miles Ray, a sophomore industrial design major, was hit by a bus near Lambreth Lane and Small Road while crossing the street to catch another bus, said Sgt. Gary Bulinski of the Syracuse Police Department. Ray suffered non-life-threatening injuries to the head and was treated at Upstate Medical University Hospital, Bulinski said.

Ray and his family declined to comment.

The Department of Public Safety received a call at 1:08 a.m. Saturday, said DPS Lt. Edward Weber. DPS, SPD and the Syracuse Fire Department responded to the call and a Rural/Metro ambulance arrived at about 1:15 a.m.

Ray was conscious at the time authorities responded, Weber said. He was loaded onto a stretcher and was taken away in an ambulance at 1:30 a.m.

The bus driver involved in the accident was not identified and was not available for comment at the time of the accident.

Small Road was blocked off near Lambreth Lane and University Village Apartments. South Campus buses were rerouted for a short period of time. A small stain of blood was left on the grass near a lamppost and two South Campus buses were stopped at the scene. A crowd of about 15 people looked on as Ray was attended to on the street.

Weber said the investigation of the accident was being turned over to SPD for a full investigation because city buses owned by Centro were involved. Bulinski cited pedestrian error for the accident.