Hilton-Jacobs speaks about importance, need for racial diversity in entertainment

CORRECTIONS: A sentence on self-doubt was previously edited inaccurately. The sentence about diversity in the entertainment industry was also edited inaccurately.

Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs empowered an enthusiastic audience of students and faculty in a discussion on the importance of media diversity Wednesday evening in the Halmi Screening Room.

Hilton-Jacobs, an actor and producer, was the guest of honor at the 11th annual Conversation on Race in Entertainment Media.

He spoke on how to thrive in the entertainment industry, beginning the discussion with a Q-and-A with Richard Dubin, host of the discussion and professor of practice at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

Hilton-Jacobs began by saying, ‘I was 14 when I started. … I was going to be an artist,’ before answering several questions about his roles in films ‘Claudine’ and ‘Cooley High.’

The response to his wit, frank humor and intelligent discourse was well received. Murmurs of affirmation, nodding heads and a constant sea of laughter were hard to ignore as he spoke about his role in the popular ABC TV series ‘Welcome Back, Kotter’ and told stories from his life in showbiz.

Hilton-Jacobs also spoke on the lack of diversity and stagnant nature of the business.

‘I have 43 years of being in the game,’ he said. ‘Not much has changed.’

Making it in the entertainment industry hasn’t been an easy road for people of color, Hilton-Jacobs said, but students should be inspired, not discouraged.

‘Hollywood is a segregated business,’ Dubin said. ‘It’s as segregated as it was in the ‘60s.’

Hilton-Jacobs said he would like to see more diversity in the roles people of color play. Still, he never allowed his skin color to deter him from accomplishing his dreams. Hilton-Jacobs challenged students to go after what they want regardless of the obstacles they may be confronted with.

Students asked questions as varied as how to deal with self-doubt as writers of color and his opinion on Oscar recipient Octavia Spencer from ‘The Help.’

Brittany Dandy, a television, radio and film graduate student, said she thought the discussion was enjoyable and relatable.

‘His personality screams unafraid, and I felt he was honest and motivating, which is most important when trying to motivate people trying to break into the industry,’ Dandy said.

Hub Brown, Newhouse Diversity Committee member and associate dean for research, creativity, international initiatives and diversity, and professor Brad Gorham both said they found the discussion to be a huge success.

‘It was everything we wanted it to be,’ Brown said.

Hilton-Jacobs said when it comes to combating the diversity barrier still present in the industry, a lack of diversity in the entertainment industry shouldn’t deter people of color from pursuing their dreams of breaking into it.

‘We should do what’s important to us,’ he said. ‘It’s not about selling out.’