Health & Science : Sugar high: Study finds eating excess glucose may have effects similar to alcohol

Sugar is so dangerous to one’s health that researchers are suggesting it should be regulated, similar to tobacco and alcohol products.

A recent report from the University of California-San Francisco details the metabolic effects of sugar and how detrimental to a person’s health it can be, according to a Feb. 2 Time magazine article.

The side effects of consuming excess sugar, such as altering metabolism, raising blood pressure, liver damage and hormonal issues, are similar to those of drinking too much alcohol, according to the article.

‘When you think about it, this actually makes a lot of sense. Alcohol, after all, is simply the distillation of sugar,’ said Laura Schmidt, co-chair of UCSF’s Community Engagement and Health Policy program, in the article.

Researchers are concerned about the liquid consumption of sugar as well as ingesting it in solid form. After conducting investigations on the effect of sugar on the brain, researchers found liquid calories are interpreted differently by the body than solids. This has led them to suggest sugar activates the same reward pathways in the brain as traditional abusive drugs like morphine or heroine, according to the article.

‘I don’t think it’s that damaging. Any person should be able to regulate how much sugar they eat, but I don’t think it could kill me,’ said Chris Roberts, a sophomore biochemistry major. ‘I drink soda like twice a week with lunch, but I don’t think it’s that bad.’

Due to the research results, individuals behind the studies suggest regulating or taxing sugary beverages like soda. A similar system was already implemented abroad in countries such as France, Greece and Denmark, which impose soda taxes, according to the article.

In the United States, Philadelphia officials came close to creating a 2-cent tax on soda. However, a study from 2010 raised doubts the tax would result in significant weight loss, according to the article.

Sara King, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she does not believe a tax would prevent her from consuming sugar. She said because sugar is in most foods, it is difficult to avoid.

‘Putting a tax on things like soda will not discourage people from drinking it or having more sugar. The tax is just another way for the government to get money out of us,’ King said.

Lynn Brann, assistant professor at the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics, said that some public health campaigns can be conducted in an attempt to reduce sugar intake.

‘There is debate about whether regulation like with a soda tax would be effective and I would like to see more research on the potential benefits before going forward with this,’ Brann said in an email.

If a person has an addiction to sugar, Brann said, actions can be taken to decrease intake.

‘Most people find pleasure in sweetness so I would recommend slowly weaning yourself off of a diet with a lot of added sugar,’ Brann said.

She said this is a difficult task, but if an individual’s consumption of more whole foods is increased, a naturally lower sugar intake will follow.

‘Our environment makes it hard to avoid sugar so it is a conscious decision that people have to make,’ Brann said. ‘I think this will be a ‘hot topic’ in nutrition for years to come.’