Sports

Big East : Conference to announce Memphis as addition in all sports

Memphis will be introduced as the next member of the Big East conference on Wednesday. The Tigers will join the conference for all sports in 2013, according to a story published by ESPN on Tuesday.

Memphis Athletic Director R.C. Johnson confirmed to ESPN that the school will officially accept an invitation from Big East Commissioner John Marinatto on a conference call Wednesday.

The Big East sent out a press release Tuesday announcing a teleconference on Wednesday at noon to address conference membership. Marinatto, Johnson and University of Memphis President Shirley Raines will all be on the call, along with University of South Florida President and Big East CEO Executive Committee Chair Judy Genshaft.

The Tigers will become the 12th football program in the Big East, reaching the goal Marinatto set in his plan for conference realignment after the departures of four schools last fall. Marinatto has also said he wants to have a conference championship game.

The latest addition to the Big East will help the conference boost its reputation in basketball. The Tigers have been to the NCAA Tournament 23 times and played in two national championship games.

Memphis wanted to move into the Big East from Conference USA when the conference expanded in 2005, but it wasn’t included. The exit fee for Conference USA for 2013-14 is $500,000 and would also include its television rights revenue share, which is $6.13 million, according to ESPN. The exit fee for the conference will be discussed Wednesday.