Culture

Undefeated pride: It takes more than one loss to stifle rambunctious Orange fans

Even though the Orange’s run at an undefeated season was cut short by the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the 20-0 start broke records and kept fans on the edge of their seats. And morale is still high. What did 20-0 mean to the Orange faithful who followed the team from tip-off to the final buzzer during each game? From cheerleaders to ticket sales and T-shirts to Naismith awards, here’s how SU’s biggest basketball aficionados celebrated a wild whirlwind of wins.

Wearing your heart on your sleeve

For local businesses like Manny’s Quality Syracuse University Apparel, there’s a direct link between the team’s performance and sales. This year, customers were quick to nab two T-shirts, one with the emblem ‘We’re #1’ and another bearing ‘Untarnished’ with team names listed on its back.

‘It’s a record-breaking season, and they’re buying it to commemorate the great start,’ general manager Mike Theiss said.

Each year, Manny’s creates merchandise reflecting SU’s standing in the season. When SU beat Connecticut in the six overtime game during the Big East Tournament, Manny’s sold a shirt called ‘six in the city.’ About two seasons ago, a popular shirt bore the team’s motto for the season, ‘Shut it Down,’ and players wore the shirt during warm-ups.

Another current popular item at Manny’s is a pair of long orange socks that guard Dion Waiters buys when he visits the store. They attracted many customers, and Theiss said purchasing merchandise demonstrates SU fans’ undying dedication to their team.

‘It’s been a lot of fun,’ Theiss said. ‘And the local community’s been very excited to follow the action.’

Three cheers for the Orange

When it comes to school spirit, there are few on campus who display it quite as prominently as the members of the Syracuse University cheerleading squad. This emblem of campus fandom features some of the hardest working athletes on campus. The squad, made of 28 coed cheerleaders, practices three times a week and lifts weights another three times per week. Team captain Francis McGill said they endure it to work the crowd 2-3 times a week during home games. They also travel with the basketball team during tournaments.

Male captain of the SU cheerleading team for two years, McGill has seen his fair share of loyalty displayed by Syracuse fans. Long-distance SU fans particularly impress him.

‘Everywhere you look is orange,’ said McGill, referring to the Big East games held at Madison Square Garden. ‘People sleep on the orange alumni, but they’re out there.’

Everybody up, let’s go Orange!

Without a rowdy student section showing its support, a basketball team might not reach its potential. The men’s basketball team feeds off of the student section, said Brad Slavin, executive communications officer of Syracuse University’s official student section Otto’s Army.

This year, Otto’s Army is vying for the first-ever Naismith Student Section of the Year Award. Fans can vote daily at the ‘I Love College Hoops’ Facebook page for the first round of voting until Feb. 12. The top 16 schools’ student sections will then be up for public vote from Feb. 13-24. The final decision will be determined by the Naismith Awards Board of Selectors and announced in March. The winning student section out of the nearly 80 schools participating gains bragging rights, and the school’s athletic department will receive $5,000.

‘I definitely think we have a shot at winning,’ said Slavin, a sophomore television, radio and film and information and systems management dual major. ‘Otto’s Army is about unifying the student section and making the Dome a hard place to play in.’

More tickets, no problems

When you think of SU basketball, you imagine the Carrier Dome filled to the brim with Orange fans clad in team colors, hysterically chanting and jumping up and down. For the past few years, SU has had a consistent backing of fans. As of Jan. 21, in the 14 home games that the team has played, there has been an average of 21,445 fans per game, according to SU Athletics’ website. The 19 home games in last year’s season, which ended with a 27-8 record, averaged at about 22,312 rambunctious fans. It’s a long shot from 1965-66, when the team had a final record of 22-6 and only averaged 5,568 fans in 11 home games.

—Compiled by The Daily Orange Feature staff