Fine allegations : Public messages can discourage sexual abuse victims

Randi Bregman knows how difficult it is for victims of sexual abuse to come forward, but when public messages discredit those victims, it complicates an already painful process.

‘Any of those public messages that tell victims or survivors that they won’t be believed always makes it harder for people to come forward,’ said Bregman, the executive director of Vera House in Syracuse.

When Syracuse University men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim called former ball boys Bobby Davis and Mike Lang ‘liars’ after they accused former associate men’s basketball coach Bernie Fine of sexual abuse, his message was heard on a national stage.

As a result of those comments, Davis and Lang are suing Boeheim and SU for defamation of character. One of the reasons for pursuing the lawsuit is to speak for other victims who might be afraid to come forward because of Boeheim’s initial statements discrediting both alleged victims, Davis and Lang said during a press conference announcing the lawsuit on Dec. 13.

When Davis heard Boeheim’s comments against him, he said he feared other victims would not speak up because Boeheim is a public figure admired by the community. Lang added that when he heard what Boeheim said, he felt sick to his stomach and was also afraid it might stop others from coming out about abuse they have faced.

Although Bregman declined to comment on the specific case involving Boeheim and SU because it is still ongoing, she said victims have trouble talking about their abuse because they are afraid no one, publically or privately, will believe their claims.

‘Sometimes people often blame themselves when they are abused, and it’s a very difficult thing to talk about and many times sexual abuse victims are not believed when they come forward,’ Bregman said.

Scott Berkowitz, the president and founder of Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, said that from his experience the fear of not being believed is one of the biggest reasons victims are reluctant to come forward.

‘That fear can discourage victims,’ Berkowitz said.

And that fear still rings true for many abuse victims.

Julie Cecile, the executive director at the McMahon/Ryan Child Advocacy Center, said it’s all too common to hear statements like those initially made by Boeheim.

‘His reaction is something that we see quite frequently. And that’s where it’s so important to have an advocacy center, a Vera House, so that we can really educate the community and the family and support the family to have them understand what we do and also the long-term effect of child abuse,’ Cecile said, referencing the Syracuse-based counseling and advocacy center for victims of domestic and sexual violence.

Boeheim’s statements could be ‘very damaging,’ said Lisa Friel, the former chief of Manhattan district attorney’s sex crimes unit. Possible victims of sexual abuse could hear what Boeheim said and think a public figure of Boeheim’s caliber could also accuse them of lying, Friel said.

‘Since one of their biggest fears is that they won’t be believed, to be called a liar by somebody in a position of power or fame or whatever so that it’s reported widely can be very problematic for that victim or any other victims,’ Friel said.

Although Friel said Boeheim’s comment could ‘chill somebody from coming forward,’ she said she thought it helped when Boeheim quickly softened his stance once more information came to light, such as the recorded tape between Davis and Fine’s wife, Laurie. On the tape, Laurie Fine said her husband had issues and that he thought he was above the law.

When the story broke on Nov. 17, Boeheim said Davis was telling ‘a bunch of a thousand lies’ and said that Davis and Lang were out for money, according to an ESPN article published Nov. 18. About two weeks later, Boeheim apologized and said he shouldn’t have questioned the alleged victims’ motives. His original comments were insensitive to the two individuals and the issue of sexual abuse, he said.

‘I think it was certainly helpful that he turned around and apologized,’ Friel said.

Friel said that since Boeheim tempered those comments, she hopes that victims will feel comfortable enough to come forward following the apology, even if they were originally afraid.

Still, Boeheim’s original comments resonated enough with Davis and Lang that they will continue to file suit.

‘I want to help children who have the courage to tell adults, their family, their teachers, their coaches, and the police if they are sexually abused,’ Davis said during the press conference. ‘I am filing this lawsuit because I don’t want them to be afraid.’

Victims of sexual abuse can visit local advocacy centers like the Vera House, (315)-484-7263, the McMahan/Ryan Child Advocacy Center, (315)-701-2985, or SU’s Advocacy Center. Victims can also visit RAINN.org, the website for Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network.