Occupy protesters prepare for winter cold with military tent

The upcoming Syracuse winter isn’t causing Occupy Syracuse to go away. Instead, the expected snow is forcing the movement, aimed at fighting social and economic injustice, to adjust.

To allow for continued protests throughout the winter, Occupy Syracuse is taking down most of their small tents in Perseverance Park, the location where many of the demonstrations are taking place, and constructing one 18-by-18 military surplus tent in its place, according to an Occupy Syracuse news release.

‘This has reduced the footprint of the occupation site, allowing passers-by to move more easily through the park,’ according to the release. ‘With one communal area to watch and maintain, campers will be better able to keep track of each other’s health and security.’

Occupy Syracuse protesters who set up Oct. 2 at Perseverance Park near Washington and Fayette streets said they plan to stay indefinitely, according to the release.

Now in its sixth week, the Occupy Syracuse movement gained support from the community as well as the Syracuse Cooperative Federal Credit Union.

‘Syracuse Cooperative Federal Credit Union stands in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Syracuse, and the nonviolent Occupy demonstrations now occurring in communities across the globe,’ according to the Occupy Syracuse website. ‘Our credit union’s mission is closely aligned with that of the Occupy movement. We oppose the domination of our economic and political life by giant banks and multinational corporations.’

The movement gained support from Syracuse University. Rachel Tribble, a freshman social work major, said she thinks the movement in general is positive because it provides a place for American citizens to express their confusion and frustration about the state of the economy.

‘It’s obvious to see that the movement has made progress due to its global popularity,’ she said. ‘Hundreds of cities have joined in the movement hoping to inspire some sort of change in the current economic conditions.’

Though many SU students agreed with the reasoning behind the movement’s protests, they disagreed with the actual form of the protests.

‘Although it’s great to show that everyone is unified and wants change. If people are getting hurt and arrested, there’s no point because we’ve learned over the years that it’s never going to change anything,’ said Aaron Lassin, an undeclared freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences.

But not all SU students approve of the Occupy protests.

Brittany Lerman, a sophomore psychology major, said she has doubts about the Occupy Wall Street movement.

‘Obviously, if you are a U.S. citizen you have the right to your freedom of speech. There’s a boundary line,’ she said. ‘Yes, you need to have your voice heard, but on the other hand, there is so much that the government and people can do in this type of economic situation.’