Opinion

Letter to the Editor : SUNY-ESF student government endorses Dylan Lustig for SA president

On behalf of the Undergraduate Student Association at SUNY-ESF, I would like to express our endorsement of Dylan Lustig for president of Syracuse University’s Student Association. Contrary to rumors and jests at Demetri Martin’s performance, students at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry do contribute to the SU student activity fee. So, yes, we can vote in the SA elections.

ESF enrolls more than 1,600 undergraduate students, and we are affected by SA’s decisions as well. We represent a small percentage of the overall student vote that both candidates are trying to engage. Oftentimes, it’s easy to forget the needs of a minority constituency. At a recent open forum with our students and Undergraduate Student Association body, Lustig displayed an impressive amount of knowledge regarding ESF’s administration and workings. A leader must reflect the voices of the entire student body. Such concerns came to light after SA decided to allocate $1 million to a single student organization, while a recent poll on The Daily Orange website had 41 percent of respondents vote that the money should have gone to other organizations.

Lustig’s vision for SA is one that challenges the status quo and processes that lead to unilateral decision making. Throughout these past few years, our SA liaisons and executive board officers have been impressed with Lustig’s willingness to reach out to our campus. Considering his efforts to improve communication and relations with ‘Stumpies,’ we believe he is the best candidate for SA.

We hope Lustig’s campaign will encourage SU and ESF students to become more associated with the other side of the Carrier Dome through student organizations and co-sponsored events.

Kevin Phu, Class of 2012

Chemistry Major

SU-ESF Liaison of USA at SUNY-ESF

Erin Jackson Class of 2015

Environmental Resource Engineering Major

SU-ESF Liaison of USA at SUNY-ESF