Opinion

Letter to the Editor : SA presidential candidate revisits purpose for running: love for SU

As I was walking down the stairs of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, a random student called out, ‘Taylor.’ I turned around and he approached me, shook my hand and said, ‘I attended the debate last night, and you’ve earned my vote.’ Win or lose, it is moments like those that remind me of the importance of being a student leader.

As elections wrap up and I begin to reflect on the process, I’ve come to realize some of my decision-making process was flawed. I made it my priority to promote my successes, talk about my experience and focus on my vision for the future. As I sit here and reflect on what was missing, I think of the passion and dedication I have to bringing positive change to this campus; the dedication to making a difference and the love I have for this great university. I think of the love I have for bettering the experience for every student here at SU, and how that should have been a stronger focus of my campaign. Results, experience and plans for the future are critical. But without passion and a love for making a difference they mean nothing. I regret not showcasing that love more than I did.

As you’re reading this, there are less than 24 hours left of voting in this year’s Student Association elections. This offers you the opportunity to log onto MySlice and cast your vote to help make a difference here at SU. I truly believe I have the experience to lead this organization, but more importantly, the passion and desire to bring it to the next level. I encourage each and everyone one of you to log on to vote if you haven’t already.

Taylor Carr

SA presidential candidate