Health & Science : Shedding the myth: Nationwide study proves ‘Freshman 15’ unfit for reality

Although the idea of the freshman 15 may concern many students entering college, a new study shows it may just be a myth.

According to a nationwide study — the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth 1997 — though freshmen usually gain a bit of weight in college, the No. 15 is just a myth.

‘The freshman 15 is a media myth,’ said Jay Zagorsky, co-author of the study, in an Ohio State University news release. ‘Most students don’t gain large amounts of weight. And it is not college that leads to weight gain — it is becoming a young adult.’

The study used data from 7,418 young people from around the country. The study interviewed people from ages 13-17 in 1997. Questions of weight and college status were included in the study, among others, according to the release.

‘I agree with this study that the freshman 15 is a myth, but I also think it’s easier to gain weight in college,’ said Alyssa Steckel, a junior in the School of Education.

Other studies have shown that college students underestimate their weight between 1/2 and 3 pounds. Women on average gain 2.4 pounds during their freshman year, whereas men gain on average 3.4 pounds their freshman year, according to the release.

But no more than 10 percent of college freshmen in the study gained 15 pounds or more, and a quarter reported losing weight during their first year, the release stated.

‘I think the study is true, for the most part, especially with girls,’ said Mari Couasnon, a senior biology major. ‘I think there has been so much discussion about the freshman 15 that girls are doing everything they can to take measures to not be associated with that label. So much so that they are actually doing the opposite of gaining weight. They’re losing it.’

The researchers looked at a variety of factors that are usually associated with the myth of the freshman 15, such as dormitory life, if they were full- or part-time students, pursuing two- or four-year degrees, or consumed six or more alcoholic drinks on at least 4 days per month, according to the release. None of these factors made a significant difference on weight gain, except for heavy drinking.

Zagorsky, the co-author of the study, said that it was significant that dormitory living did not add to weight gain because one general idea has been that the dormitory environment equates to weight gain during freshman year, according to the release. That seems to hold true with students in Syracuse as well.

‘I personally agree that the freshman 15 is a myth. Food options in dining halls aren’t as bad as made out to be. People think that living in a dorm means lack of convenience to quality and healthy options, hence why you would gain weight,’ said Frankie Squadrito, senior communications and rhetorical studies major. ‘But at least here at ‘Cuse you have dining halls everywhere with good diet options, and it’s possible to maintain a healthy weight.’

College will not determine your weight gain, but healthy lifestyle choices will, according to the release.

‘Students should begin developing the habit of eating healthy foods and exercising regularly,’ Zagorsky said. ‘Those habits will help them throughout their lives.’