Despite recent developments, former player and trustee continues to defend Fine

Bernie Fine is still innocent in spite of his termination from Syracuse University on Sunday night, said former men’s basketball player and SU trustee George Hicker.

Fine is being investigated for molesting two former ball boys and a youth during his time as an associate men’s basketball head coach, a post that was terminated Sunday night at the discretion of SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor.

‘I still don’t think he did it,’ Hicker said. ‘The whole situation from when this first happened is really lurid.’

Hicker played from 1964-68 alongside SU head coach Jim Boeheim when Fine was a student manager for the team. Hicker criticized ESPN’s release of a recorded 2002 phone call with Bobby Davis and Laurie Fine, aired nationally Sunday morning. Hicker said that if ESPN had possession of the tape, it should have released that information years ago.

‘I think it’s irresponsible that they wait until now to do this, if they had the tape for nine years,’ Hicker said.

Hicker said he had just two comments about the current situation: first, that Fine is not guilty of the molestation charges, and second, that Cantor made the right decision in firing Fine. He said he is not sure whether Cantor consulted anyone on her decision to fire Fine but could imagine Cantor making the decision herself.

‘Having heard an employee’s wife and anybody on a nationally aired tape on ESPN, I think this is what the chancellor had to do. Absolutely,’ Hicker said.

Since the allegations resurfaced, Hicker said he has spoken to Fine two or three times. Fine is a close friend of 45 years, and Hicker said he has given Fine constant support. Hicker said Fine has no intention of hurting anyone.

‘I imagine that Bernie would have resigned had he digested all this,’ Hicker said. ‘I know he doesn’t want to hurt the basketball program and the school, and this doesn’t have a good effect on any of it. It’s a very difficult time for a lot of people.’

Hicker expressed some worry that after today’s events, the community’s general perception of the situation may be affected.

‘Up until today I hadn’t heard one iota of anyone that believed any of it,’ Hicker said. ‘This kind of stuff that came out today can have all kinds of impacts on people’s perceptions of what could have happened because none of us were there.’

Despite any recent developments, Hicker upholds strong conviction in defense of Fine. Hicker said he would await any future developments before commenting further.

‘Until something definitive makes me think that he did that, I still don’t believe it,’ Hicker said. ‘Maybe that seems like somebody that’s naïve and blind to the truth, but I still don’t believe it. We’ll see what happens in the future.’